Inflation!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mudwoman, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Obviously, the people keeping track of inflation in Wash DC never bought nails. Went to get nails for the nail gun. Aug 2003, they were $31 for a box, last time we bought some a little less than a year ago, a box was $38 and today it was $58. AUGH.

2. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I know, doesn't it make you mad?! We are building our house and lumber prices alone are really bad. I paid $5.99 for 2x6 that is 10 ft long and that's green wood, not pressure treated. Heck, a 2x4 stud is $3.09!!

I bet things get worse with fuel prices going up. :-(

Deb

3. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Inflation is a tough problem. Do you leave your money in the bank and let inflation eat away at its buying power, or do you stock up on the items that you know you will need in the future?

My own opinion is that oil will continue to rise and drive inflation for some time to come. Today OPEC and the Saudis announced increases in production quotes, and while the price of oil slipped a little at first, it sprang right back. It seems to me that the market does not believe that the Saudis have the excess capacity they claim to have. Also, there were reports this weekend that several of the central banks in Asia are beginning to sell the dollars they have been holding to support their currencies. If this is true it will only add to inflationary pressures.

Duke

4. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Mr. Greenspan apparently doesn't do any shopping at all. He keeps saying there's no inflation. Average home prices have more than doubled here in the last 4 years. I'm paying 2.45/gal for gasoline, almost double from 4 years ago. The price of anything construction related has gone sky high. Metals and many raw commodities are nearing bubble-mode. But still, there's no inflation. :rolleyes:

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yeah,I love those inflation stats too.Seems pretty bogus to anyone who shops.
    :haha:

BooBoo

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

The thing that bugs me is that inflation usually excludes food and fuel. In other words, they don't count the regular day to day living expenses. :confused:

Jim

7. Melissa

Melissa member

I love that Jim, how ironic to not count the very things that people need the most. Would that be called "creative accounting"!?!??! I am pretty price conscious and everything has gone up at least 10% over the last year or so. Feed prices have gone up about 20%.

8. frugalville

frugalville Well-Known Member

The CPI (consumer price index) will never reflect true inflation. It is constantly being changed to remain low. The BLS just reworked the formulae again recently to take in hedonic adjustments. Also doesn't help that real estate prices are at 'bubble' levels and 'rent prices' are at all time lows. Guess which one they use in the CPI.

The CPI is also the number that adjusts social security payments.

"Hi, I am from the government, and I'm here to help you."

ugh.