infectious disease

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shorty'smom, Feb 28, 2005.

1. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Can people get the same kind of pneumonia that the goats have? (it almost seems so.)

Do goats get Histoplasmosis if chickens roost in their house sometimes?

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Most pnemonia in goats is pasturella (sp) hemoticula and multicidia, although can be from chronic forms of CAE, CL or mycoplsma. Another biggy is chemcial pnemonia from being down in wet urine soaked bedding, or limed ground, or the inhalation of anything caustic like this. So if people have these specific bacteria than yes, but I don't think so. Although sheep and goats get the same things, most, even parasites are species specific. The pinkeye in cattle is not the same pinkeye in goats, although we can give each kind of pinkeye to ourselves!

Perhaps Lt Wombat would know more? Vicki

3. shorty'smom

actually, mycoplasma pneumonia is geting more common in people. I had it myself about 8 years ago.

I was just wondering. Everything that is alove at our farm has a snotty nose and a cough these days. Even the cats are sneezing. I gave everybody in the barn a second shot of Exenel last night. I'm glad it's sunny today. This darned damp weather!

The children and I have an awful cough and fever. It takes DAYS to get in to see a doctor in the little town nearby. There is only a doctor 3 days a week, and we end up at the ER sometimes when a doctor visit would have been better, at the appropriate time. Being a nurse, I know a bit about people medicine. I am learning about goat medicine. I wasn't sure what organisms are problematic in goats.

I got half a gallon of milk again this morning. Heny and I are still striving at it. I think she's drying up. I believe she had milk at first, but never would let down. Now it seems like she's drying up. I'll let her kid one more time and if she doesn't get enough milk for her kids I'm afraid she'll have to go. (but I like her personality...waaaaa...sniffle)

4. shorty'smom

I appologize about my sloppy typing and spelling. I really do know how to spell. Really. My fingers just don't type well, and they run on automatic sometimes, as does the rest of my body....I got probably MS.