infected eyes

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by a1cowmilker, Aug 12, 2005.

1. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

just want to ask if anyone had this before. My 15 month old jersey has pus running out of both eyes. I felt terrible, I got hurt and my husband has been feeding for me these last (and long) 5 weeks. For a few days he has told me to call the vet and I didn't. Yesterday I went out and saw them for myself. The vet came a few hours later. He doesn't know if it's pink eye or not. He gave her a shot of antibiotics and some eye salve to put in her eyes in the next two days.

Has this ever happened to anyone? The vet said that this has been a bad year for pink eye.

And yep, I really do feel bad about letting her suffer for so long.

Thanks,

2. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

Is the eye itself inflamed in any way? I had a heifer a few years ago who had puss running fromt the inside corners of her eyes. My vet said it was infected/ clogged teat ducts and had me squirt antibiotics from a Today mastitis tube into the corner of her eye under the lid for 5 days.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Describe the white portion of the cow's eyes. Are there tears running down the areas under the eyes creating a dirty wet mess? Can the cow see? Are the eye lids closed, partially closed or normal?

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

it is probably pinkeye.
    it is usually caused by flies.
    it is very common with cattle.
    Look at it like this; if you had what your animals have, would you go to the doctor? How long would you wait?