Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parents: At what age did your babies start cooing? My 7 week old has yet to begin making the little cooing sounds an infant makes. We are carefully watching his development as he had a very rough start in life. He was 5 weeks early , was hospitalized and almost died at 6 days old. An MRI showed possible brain damage. He seems "normal" in every other way, very alert,knows several words--meaning he will stop crying if I ask him to give me a "burpy" and sit still and BURP! ALso if he is wet, & crying,I'll ask him if he went potty, and his crying will get quieter & slower,he will do the same if crying & I ask him if he wants his baa baa or boo boo (for breastfeeding)& wait expectedly to be fed. It's very obvious he understands me. He turns over to his side,reaches for objects,etc., but the NOT cooing has me a bit worried. :shrug:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it was about 3 months before my baby started cooing. Jeez, I should remember, she's only 4 and a half months old now! lol I don't remember exactly but I know it was longer than 7 weeks.

·
Wyn~D Farm
971 Posts
I wouldn't be worried , all babies hit milestones at different paces , and I'm pretty sure none of my 4 kids started cooing before 3 months of age . I'm sure your babies rough start in life makes you extra protective and I don't blame you . Ahhhh the joys of being a mama :baby04:

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
Premature infants tend to be "behind" if you only take into consideration their chronological age. But by about age 2 any differences should mostly disappear. Try matching your childs milestones to those that were born around his due date and you might discover he is further along then you think. :)

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
I'd say if he's hitting SOME milestones that are age appropriate he's fine. Especially if he is reaching for toys, that's pretty complex for a seven week old born at term! Usually they're 3-4 months old before they discover they can grab stuff :)

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I think mine was about 8 or 9 weeks but could have been later. He didn't talk until he was almost 3. He babbled constantly though. What's funny is when we look back at the video's we took we'll suddenly catch a word or two that we completely missed at the time. :)

Having been told your baby might be brain damaged I'm sure has you constantly evaluating his every move. But he sounds to be very responsive and aware of what's going on. It's a terrible worry for you. I do hope the initial findings will be proved wrong.

Hugs,

Pauline

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Yes, you need to adjust his age to what it would be if he was full term. I had preemie twins & they were very far behind, but if I remembered to judge them according to the age they would have been had they been born on time, they did quite well.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess I should be looking at it as the age he WOULD have been... meaning he was due July 18th, so he is "really" not even 3 weeks old yet. One positive thing: he weighed 9lbs 7 oz on Thursday,and today he weighed 10 lbs! It's just so hard NOT to be worried,paranoid about his development, especially when I think of that darn MRI.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My new baby has cooed at me. She was full term though(July 9th). I agree with them about going by his due date for development rather than the day he was actually born.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts