Infant has toes chewed off by a ferret?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Josephine, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Josephine

Josephine Well-Known Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4417370.html

Well considering the gnawing a ferret does, that makes more sense than a 6 week old puppy. However, whether it be a puppy chewing or trying to nurse, or a ferret gnawing away, why the parents didnt hear this happening until four toes was chewed off is beyond me.

Poor kid.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

You know back in the good old days you use to hear about babies getting Rat bit all the time.But you never hear about that anymore :shrug:

I remember wakeing up in the middle night Rats running across my Bed.

Yea can't see these people not knowing this was happening.

big rockpile

3. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

I suspect the "parents" were otherwise occupied while the infant screamed. The hair test for drugs won't show if they were DRUNK AND PASSED OUT, will it?

There's a serious lack of parenting going on in this home, it looks like. Every parent of a one-month-old that I've known couldn't be parted from baby for more than a few minutes, and was fussing endlessly and NOT SLEEPING DEEPLY.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Guessing they'll euthanize both animals to be safe. Cant have either blood thirsty animal running around. :rolleyes:
    Thinking they should start with the irresponsible parents first though. ;)

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I used to own ferrets, and I honestly have my doubts about that being the culprit. Then again, if the baby were dirty I suppose any animal would begin to nibble...but babies tend to flail about, and it would seem more likely that a puppy would be able to grab hold of a foot to get after the toes than a ferret. :shrug: Either way, I'm glad they've got the little girl out of there. Hopefully she'll find a good home.

6. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a ferret once,&I dont think a ferret would chew on anyones toes.That child needs better parents,where were they when this child was crying?Getting her toes chewed off had to hurt.

7. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

And yet another embarrasing incident for the great state of Louisiana.

8. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen Swampgirl....

Since moving here 4 years ago, I've heard or saw things that just blew my mind....

9. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I have two ferrets now and have had as many as five at a time. They can be pretty playful and, sometimes, don't know when to stop. (Although my Corky and Ruby are getting old and we have to work hard to get them to even play.) That said, though, I find it hard to believe one would actually chew the toes off a baby, unless it was starving. Ferrets have high metabolism and have to have food available to them at all times because they can starve to death pretty quickly.

I agree with everyone else, though, that wonders how the parents could not hear their baby in distress. My kids never had to do more than a whimper before I was right there. Of course, my babies slept with me.

Hopefully, neither animal will have to face the ultimate punishment because of the neglect of the parents.......

(This story came up at work the other day and someone said maybe the parents didn't hear the baby because they were busy making another one.)

10. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

***shudder*** you bring back bad memories for me!!!!
    i spent many nights, in a rocking chair, holding my kids, cause i was afraid of the rats!!!!!!!!!
    i thank the good Lord those days are behind me, sitting all night with a baby and a broom stick isnt easy!!!

11. Josephine

Josephine Well-Known Member

They had a hearing this week and here is an update on the story:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/5072256.html

The Bossier City couple whose baby had her toes bitten off by a family pet pleaded guilty Wednesday to improper child supervision and will be released Wednesday afternoon after spending three and a half weeks in jail.

The ferret believed to have attacked the baby -- along with a puppy initially thought to have done it -- will be put up for adoption.

Under a plea agreement between prosecutors and the defense, Mary Hansche, 22, and Christopher Hansche, 26, admitted to misdemeanor charges of child abandonment. They were fined $100 each and agreed to give up their pets and attend parenting classes before they have a chance to get their daughter back.

"Your punishment will be ongoing," Bossier District Judge Johnny Robinson told them, "every time you look at the baby's feet."

On the December morning the infant was attacked, the Hansches said they woke up and found four of their month-old daughter's toes bitten off.

Police initially thought the couple's then-six-week-old puppy did it, but attorneys on both sides said it was the couple's pet ferret.

Defense attorney Pam Smart said the ferret likely bit the baby's toes off quickly before the sleeping parents could react and did not gnaw them off in an attack that would have taken longer.

The puppy is now about 10 weeks old. Fearing that the dog would be euthanized, dozens of people called or e-mailed Bossier officials and news outlets, wanting to adopt it. News reports showed the baby pit bull shivering from head to tail.

District Attorney Schuyler Marvin said he believes there were enough mitigating circumstances in the case to offer a plea agreement with the list of conditions. There was no intent by the couple to harm their baby, Marvin said, calling the decision to leave the ferret out of its cage a "lapse in judgment."

The now seven-week-old baby, along with a 2-year-old brother, will remain in foster care. Attorneys said a grandmother has the children. The state and a judge will decide later if the Hansches can regain custody.

The Hansches admitted to a misdemeanor that accuses them of not doing enough to protect their baby.

12. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

The first bite would have had the baby screaming bloody murder, parents had to be out of the house or just plain out of it to have missed that.

13. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

All though not an excuse but looking at the picture of the parents they don't even look old enough to take care of themselves much less a baby.

14. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Alright I really have to ask this.... I have literally over a hundred animals, I have had 3 children..... WHY would any parent leave a loose ferret AND a loose dog (of any breed) where it can get to a very young child? Now it took times in my past, personal time together with my DH to get the other 2 children..... I had dogs and cats and other critters in the house.... I simply shut the door to the baby's room or put that sleeping child in a crib in the corner, closed my BR door and killed the lights! If that couple left that child in potential danger - who taught them???? These are the times I am so glad I was raised when Home Ec was taught in school..... where parents taught their kids HOW to raise a family..... I'm lost on who is teaching what to young folks now. Where is common sense?
    I'll shut up now.....

15. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

See, though, I have two ferrets... actually, they're hubby's, but beside the point.
    They do not gnaw, they nip and dash backwards, then bounce forward to nip again.
    I'd bet it was a rat that got to that baby, sounds like a ratty behavior more than a ferrety or puppy one. Still so sad, but just hope the baby was tested for all those nasty diseases....

16. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Good grief!!!! The children are in custody of a grandparent!!!! How in the world would that be safer than with the parents if the grandparent was the one that trained the parents!? Poor baby!!!!!! The baby will have to live with the consequences for the rest of it's life. Missing toes would be a terrible thing to deal with. It will have trouble walking and running, not to mention the way it would make a youngster feel to look different than the other children without shoes on. They said it was punishment to the parents to see what they had done to their child....YIKES...it is MUCH more punishment for the child!!! Pooor pooor sweet baby!

When my children were babies they slept in a crib by our bed. It was much easier to check on them that way and also to nurse them during the night. I remember how nervous I was the first time they slept in their own room! I am of the same opinion as the poster above that said that most parents don't let the newborn out of their site...but to be in a room where a ferret or dog can get to them!!!!!! TERRIBLE!

17. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Oh....thought I should add....I am a complete and total animal lover....but I know that animals will do what animals do....it is what they do...and babies and children need to be protected from that. Just like you wouldn't put a play pen in with a herd of cattle, or a bassenett in with the pigs! Good grief! I hadn't heard about that story and it really got to me! :Bawling: