Inexpensive Milking Machine

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ken Scharabok, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

From time to time I get an e-mail asking if I know of an inexpensive, self-contained, electric-driven, milking machine for one or two cows. By the time you purchased a surge milker and equipment you are looking at several thousand for new. I saw one in Croatia in 2001 but apparently they do not export - at least to U.S.

2. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

I was interested in the same thing and have not found one in US. I did find a small milker in the UK but it was designed for 230v 50 Hz so you would have to have a power converter. It seems the Brit's are ahead of us in this technology and are more serious "homesteaders"

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Auctions!!! :D

I bought 6 Surge buckets, most with pulsators and shells (one had been set up to use as a sick cow bucket in a parlor, and came with a claw instead) for $35. I bought new inflations for the one I use, and a new lid gasket and surcingle. Less than $40 altogether, if I remember correctly.

Surge Alama vacuum pump, sans motor, $50. A new 3 hp motor for it was around $150, I think.

Six stanchions and drinking cups, $45.

This morning, I'm going to a sale to look at a 500-gallon Van Vetter bulk tank. Anyone know what it might be worth? It was used for a goat dairy. I'm thinking because it's small, the price might be right.

I haven't given up my dream of milking my own herd someday, especially now that I have THREE freaking Holsteins!

And if that doesn't work out, perhaps I could sell it to a fellow homesteader!

There is a Surge RV BB2 vacuum pump in this sale, too, and a pump for a pipeline system, as well as goat stanchions.

Will be interesting to see what everything goes for ...

4. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

Michael Perry in Jennings LA sells rebuilt milkers for cows and goats...I found him through eBay...WE bought one and it is GREAT...and it was under $600 last year prices...and he gives a warrenty also...I have nothing but good to say about him and his product...MissKItty :goodjob:

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

The bulk tank went for $500. There was only one bidder -- one of the auctioneer's ringmen -- who got it for his opening bid. Maybe it will show up in another sale down the line? ;)

I didn't stay for the rest of the equipment, as I wasn't feeling well. So I went expecting to blow a grand or so, and spent $5 for some buckets instead. :)

6. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I also bought a complete rebuilt surge belly milker system from a man on ebay. It works great and it was less than $600. Ofcourse you have to pay shipping and that adds more, but it is still a good deal.

7. Ken Scharabok

What I am looking for a source for is a completely self-contained unit. The one I saw in Croatia had a collection jar at one end, vacumm system in the middle and an electrical motor on end. All was on a cart.

After I returned a distant cousin in Canada said they were going to the village. I had them get the manufacturer information off the unit. It is make in a city about ten miles away, so he went there and talked with the manager. Send me information on it, but it is all in Croatian, which I don't speak or read.

I briefly toyed with the idea of importing it without the motor and then putting on a 110v, 60 hz motor. However, importing would be a huge hassle, as would parts and customer support.

Cannot figure out how to load picture. To see it you can e-mail me at scharabo@aol.com and I'll send picture as attachment. This was a one-at-a-time cow unit.

8. linn

9. Ken Scharabok

Linn: Thank you. It appears he takes used surge buckets and modifies them to be self-contained.

10. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

Also he has parts if needed that you can order and it gets there quickly...I got his phone number here if you would like it...MissKItty

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Inexpensive I am not familiar with, but parts dept has a milker, not inexpensive but they seem to have power. I bought mine there, the biggest they sell. You can milk up to 4 at a time, balence tank is on the unit, it is self contained. But @ 2195.00 it isn't cheap.

Jeff

12. linn

The one advertised on ebay is $625. No, it is not cheap, but it is a good unit. I have one and it works like a new one. You get everything you need to get you started. By the time you gather and pay for the parts to put a milker together you will be spending that much or more and still may not have a good milker. This one is guaranteed, I believe.

13. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

lol, your enthusiasm gave me a chuckle. you said you are looking at a bulk tank. does it come with the compressor? I cant imagine a complete unit that size costing much more than $1000. My dad had a 400 gallon sunset tank he was trying to sell for $400 with no compressor. I bought it from him to store maple sap in. If the tank you ar looking at doesnt have a compressor, my dad has one that we put a new copeland pump on, and only used it one year. the pump cost us $1200.

14. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

When it comes to cows, I am nothing but enthusiasm! :D

MichiganFarmer, if you and your spouse ever get over in this area, please feel free to drop in at the Home for Wayward Holsteins, located just 1 mile south of M-55 on 9 Mile between Lake City and Houghton Lake!