Inexpensive Canning Elements!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KindredSpirit, Jul 20, 2006.

1. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I posted this as a response on another thread, but didn't want to subject that thread to thread drift. I thought some of you might be interested in this. When you can or cook large amounts of food the weight is hard on the stove element. Mine literally would not hold my canner. I bought a couple of canning elements. They are usually priced at around $60.00. I found them much cheaper on ebay. Here is the seller I bought mine through. They are $13.40 plus $6.10 shipping. I bought a few, as I cook large amounts of food at a time and use one all of the time on my front burner. It has held up well. I have used it daily for several months now. The seller currently has three availabe. I don't know him and am not plugging him as a seller. It is just who I got mine from. If they are all sold you may ask him when he will have more. I see them on and off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Range-Canning-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps someone. :)

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Waa!!! The link doesn't work...

3. KindredSpirit

Let me try again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Range-Canning-B...ryZ43566QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hopefully that will do it! :) It appears to be the same as the one before, so if it doesn't work enter "canning element" into the search area for ebay. It will show the expensive one first, look below it in the ebay stores. The seller's ebay store is HVAC Appliance Parts Supplies. His user name is "supplystuf". Let me know if you can't find it and I will try again.

4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

5. ladycat

LOL KindredSpirit, we posted at the same time.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

sold out :Bawling: :Bawling:

7. KindredSpirit

It still says 3 available. Did you try going in to buy it? Maybe you can e-mail him. Sorry! :shrug:

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I wonder what is available out there for gas stoves. Anybody know?

donsgal

9. KindredSpirit

Chicken posted on the other thread that hers has an additional rim like this one (she paid around $60.00). Mine is pretty durable. My sister and I both use ours all of the time with no problems. I guess if you want it thicker (more costly) there are others out there that have an additional rim like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A145A-JENN-AIR-...ryZ43566QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mine work great for me. :shrug:

10. Fla Gal

I just a minute ago committed to buy one. There should be two left.

11. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I ordered one also. Thanks for the post KindredSpirit!

12. rosehaven

rosehaven Well-Known Member

as I have a new stove and just started canning. Don't want to ruin the burner and this was an answer to my problem.

Peace and Blessings,
    April :angel:

13. Fla Gal

Thanks KindredSpirit,

That was kind of you to share. Another good thing about these burners is they're portable. If you're a renter and decide to move, take it with you. :p

14. KindredSpirit

I am glad you guys got them. You are right about them being portable. We live in a townhouse right now, so when we do move to the country I am taking mine with me!! :)

15. Fla Gal

I don't know if any are available for gas stoves but it seems to me you wouldn't need one for a gas stove (Oh how I long for a gas stove). The cast iron grids and drip pans should be strong enough to hold the weight of a water bath canner or a pressure canner without a problem. I can't rightly say, as the gas stove I used was one in a 28' camper trailer, rather small and held the weight well.

The reason I ordered one for the electric stove is because the elements that come with an electric stove are flimsy and surely wouldn't last long under a lot a weight with the heat.

16. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

I have a dual fuel stove - gas cooktop and electric oven. The owner's manual mentions canning, but the gist of it was to not use the same burner all day because the prolonged heat was not good for the cast iron burner cover/grate. Other than recommending switching burners, my gas cooktop is fine for the heavy loads.

-Joy

17. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Yep, Kindred, that is exactly the kind I got. By Jenn-Air for my Maytag. Ordered from my local Maytag dealer and the total with tax was $64.19. May be cheaper to go through a dealer than pay for shipping.

18. ladycat

$13.40 plus $6.10 shipping sounds cheaper than $64.19 :shrug:

19. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I do my canning on a propane burner. We have pots here that hold 100 lbs of crawfish. I don't fill the thing up as it would take FOREVER to can 60 gallons of ANYTHING. I use it outside. Keeps the heat outside. Also, no worries about breaking the stove.

Just a suggestion. You probably have smaller pots laying around and a propane burner.

20. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid