Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing some opinions. I have such mixed feeling about this. I was induced with my son but he was overdue...everything was great. This time around I have gestational diabetes & am starting to swell up. I am currently 36w 5d. My actual due date is January 1st. My husband and I selfishly want to induce before the new year because of insurance. We have already met our 5500 out of pocket because of the diabetes and because he hurt his back. My doctor is okay with inducing as long as it's after 38 weeks. The baby is doing good and was estimated at 9 pounds yesterday. The doctor thinks she is closer to 8 pounds because of the accuracy of ultrasounds at this point. I am 80% effaced and 2-3 cm dilated. The induction would take place on the 22nd or 23rd. Any advice or opinions is appreciated (or personal experiences).

Thank you,

SARAH

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Are you serious? You want to put your baby at risk and interrupt what nature has intended because of *insurance*? Now I've heard it all.

No... IMHO, let your baby come when he/she feels the need to enter the world.

As a LLL leader, I personally think that nature usually has it right. However, I realize there are legitimate medical reasons to change what nature intends. But to change birthing for monetary reasons seems just wrong.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Are you serious? You want to put your baby at risk and interrupt what nature has intended because of *insurance*? Now I've heard it all.

No... IMHO, let your baby come when he/she feels the need to enter the world.

As a LLL leader, I personally think that nature usually has it right. However, I realize there are legitimate medical reasons to change what nature intends. But to change birthing for monetary reasons seems just wrong.
It sounds to me like the doctor would probably want to induce anyways with the GD.

Also...aren't LLL Leaders NOT supposed to tell people on message boards that they fill that role? Because their statements could be taken as the opinion of the organization rather than the individual?

Kayleigh

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
Sparky sarah,

Be careful! I was induced with my 3rd child because my labor slowed down. If that baby is not ready you will cause problems for you and the baby. I was on the largest amount of pitosin they could give me and I ended up having a c-section because of the stress on the baby and me. That baby will be sooo much better off if you leave it to nature.

Also, most insurances will continue to cover this pregnancy on into the new year because it is different than just an illness. Check with your insurance and see if that is not true. Even if they make you pay more it probably won't be what it could if that baby is born with problems because of forcing an early birth. NICU bills can get very steep. To the tune of about $1100.00 a day.
Then you would get to pay a new deductible for that.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It sounds to me like the doctor would probably want to induce anyways with the GD.

Also...aren't LLL Leaders NOT supposed to tell people on message boards that they fill that role? Because their statements could be taken as the opinion of the organization rather than the individual?

Kayleigh
You cannot give advice... but you can give opinions. The GD is a side note... the main reason is for insurance. As I said, if there is a legitimate medical reason, it make sense. If it's just because of insurance, it's foolish.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was first diagnosed with GD it was mentioned that they would prefer induction at 38 weeks for various reasons. This little girl is measuring very large (measured 45 at 35 weeks). I know that can be a concern. I'm not overly concerned as my son was 9.5 pounds without gestational diabetes. So as long as she isn't crazy large I feel she'll come out the way she's supposed to. The doc thinks she will be over 11 pounds if I go overdue, but that is a guess as no one can really predict. I am having a biophysical profile weekly and yesterday it was noted that she is macrosomia and the placenta was downgraded to a 1 instead of a 2 rating but the doc isn't overly concerned yet.
I know it's selfish to want to do it before the new insurance year, it frustrates the heck out of me, but I don't know that I can handle an additional 5500 of medical bills on top of what is already starting to come in. I don't know how I'd do it. But I certainly don't want to put the baby in jeopardy. I've heard of people being induced at full term which is considered 37 weeks and baby was great. Anyone have to be induced early?

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
you won't make it to the 23rd kiddo... don't worry, it'll come on its own.

R

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check with the insurance company about them covering it into the new year. I just assumed that they wouldn't. As you can see with our out of pocket amount we have lousy insurance.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R- Thank you...that's exactly what I'm hoping for. I sometimes have contractions 4-5 minutes apart and for 45-60 seconds long for a few hours but then they subside.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I was induced at 38 weeks with my last baby because of her size ( they said she was 12 lbs), placenta breakdown and GD. She was 8lbs 11oz and perfect in every way. My other 2 boys came at 38 weeks on their own, both healthy and over 8 lbs.

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
Sparksarah,

Here is a thought for you. I don't know if you are a believer but, it sounds like you may already be pretty close to going into labor on your own. Pray and ask God to bring this baby on.

Also, a natural way to bring on labor is .. SEX! Yes, I said it. It is a pretty good way to get things moving. I know there are those who don't agree but, even if it doesn't work it'll be fun. :icecream:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Goodness, I bet that 12 lb. prediction scared the heck out of you :) I'm glad it all went very well for you. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I was induced at 32 weeks with my DD because I had severe preeclampsia. Had we waited for nature to take its course, she would have died. The doctors didn't think that my body would respond to the induction, because 32 weeks is pretty early, but I dilated just fine and my water even broke on its own. I ended up moving into HELLP Syndrome...not because of the induction, but just the course my preeclampsia moved in. As a result, I had to have an emergency c-section so I wouldn't have a stroke and die.

Three years later, I developed mild preeclampsia with my son. We knew that he would be delivered early, but did our best through bed rest to keep my blood pressure down and give him the chance to grow as much as he could. Because you can't induce after a c-section. I had a scheduled C-section at 37 weeks and my "little" guy was 8 pounds 10 ounces. The ultrasounds had predicted 8 pounds 5 ounces a few days before he was born.

The doctors won't do an induction simply to help you with your insurance, so don't feel like you are doing it for the wrong reason. Most moms have reasons that they hope their child is born on a certain day, but that doesn't make you selfish...it isn't as if you could truly schedule an induction just for the convenience of choosing the birthday of your child. If the doctor wants to do an induction, he has a good reason for it.

If the insurance weren't an issue, would you do the induction if your doctor advised it? Of course you would, because having a healthy child is important to you. So, stop feeling guilty about being happy that the baby might come before January 1st and rest up for the big day! Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
I had a c-section at 38 weeks and I really regret it. I knew he was going to be delivered by section, so that wasn't the problem, I should have fought harder to let the pregnancy go to term.

Our son developed jaundice and it was a big fight to get the hospital to release him even though our insurance paid for a bili blanket and a nurse to come out and take blood (something to check with your insurance about before making your decision as jaundice is very common with early babies).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you backwoods momma. One of the docs I see told me I could start evening primrose oil and red raspberry leaf tea at 36 weeks which I have done. I hemmorhaged terribly with my son (they said it was because of his size) and hopefully the tea will possibly help reduce that this time around. The EPO is for cervix ripening.
I will certainly add prayer to the list...silly me. I am always praying about her health and safe delivery but never thought about praying for a sooner birth.

·
kygreendream
340 Posts
my last two boys were induced at 38 weeks. both turned out very healthy. the baby's lungs and vital organs are completely developed by then. mine were induced because of their large birth rate the last one was 9lb 2 weeks early. If you go early feel at ease. God doesnt give you more than you can handle. Have a very MERRY christmas!

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
Sarah,

My uterus is shot from all the surgeries I had but, Red raspberry really helps. Sounds like a great idea. It will also help bring your milk in and keep it there. Good luck and God bless you.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you Loriann. No my doctor wouldn't induce just because of insurance. He originally wanted to induce on the 18th or 19th. But with the weekly profile he decided it would be okay to wait until 22 or 23. Depending on what the tests say next week it could be as late as the 29th. But, who knows. He is really hoping I just go into labor on my own.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sparksarah,

Also, a natural way to bring on labor is .. SEX! Yes, I said it. It is a pretty good way to get things moving. I know there are those who don't agree but, even if it doesn't work it'll be fun. :icecream:
It's not just sex but (one good thing for men) the sperm that has natural inducing properties.

So, lot's of sex with male ejaculations. Hope this isn't too graphic

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I think the real trouble will be a baby with a birthday just before Christmas! MY Dh is the 23rd.....and it is always ONE MORE thing to get done. If the baby is healthy and the Dr says, okay - trust him. I have been induced before the due date plenty of times (4) because of one reason or another. It isn't like you are inducing at 28 wks! or anything. If the Dr said 'no' then I would follow that advice too!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts