Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rockwool plugs ordered ... the one thing I didn't have. And it looks like the plug with sprouted lettuce goes right into the net cup with clay balls.

Very good instructions ... it's coming together ... thanks so much, all!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just a clarification FYI. I don't use clay balls. I just put the plugs with the sprouted lettuce in the net cups. The plugs I use fit into the net cups and the top of the plug with the lettuce sprout is just barely above the liquid I put in the coffee containers. I have no experience with clay balls but I suspect they will work great. When I am done with a lettuce plant I carefully cut the roots away from the net pot and discard the rockwool plug and lettuce plant. I clean and reuse the coffee containers and net cups next year. Once I got things setup my only expenses are fertilizer, rockwool plugs, an occasional net cup to replace a damaged one, and electricity for the lights.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Just a clarification FYI. I don't use clay balls. I just put the plugs with the sprouted lettuce in the net cups. The plugs I use fit into the net cups and the top of the plug with the lettuce sprout is just barely above the liquid I put in the coffee containers. I have no experience with clay balls but I suspect they will work great. When I am done with a lettuce plant I carefully cut the roots away from the net pot and discard the rockwool plug and lettuce plant. I clean and reuse the coffee containers and net cups next year. Once I got things setup my only expenses are fertilizer, rockwool plugs, an occasional net cup to replace a damaged one, and electricity for the lights.
I use dirt and my only expense is the electricity for lights...and no messing around with measuring & cleaning solutions.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There is going to be an issue with using one light for 4 shelves worth of plants. The plants on bottom shelves will be too far away from the light and are going to be lanky, starved for light and not that productive

·
Registered
847 Posts
Back up a minute, to the bathtub idea. If your only using the inside of the tub your missing out. Look at the space lost due to the shape. Now measure the top of that tub and cut a piece of plywood to completely fill in the space from front edge to wall surround and from the back up toward the front, leaving 6 inches for a hose stash. This set up will hold 7 10/20 trays easily. Not everyone has a bathroom they dont use but if you do that is a sweet set up. It can be covered by 2ea 4ft 4 bulb lights too. If you look close you can see what im saying. This is mine although somewhat congested by the little table extention and stuff on the floor out in front. Once we‘re in full spring start-up it’s more orderly.
as to year round, only thing we’ve had much luck with is wheat grass, celery, parsley and cilantro, which we eat daily.
View attachment 92479
Brilliant!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Has anyone done an analysis of productivity as it relates to the cost of electricity? If you're getting only enough lettuce for garnish, that's a mighty expensive hamburger.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Has anyone done an analysis of productivity as it relates to the cost of electricity? If you're getting only enough lettuce for garnish, that's a mighty expensive hamburger.
Nope. For me it's a hobby. I will say that my 40 watts of grow light (on 12-14hours a day) double as my kitchen lighting. I no longer use the kitchen lights, the grow lighting makes me happier.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
I have never done a cost analysis. There are other house plants on most of the shelves and I need to putter in the dirt in the winter anyway so I just don't bother to figure costs. I know it is much easier to pay $3 for tomato plants in the spring than mess with just a couple seedlings. But the variety I like is hard to find and you won't find my peppers at any price so I would have the lights on anyway.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts