indoor root cellar idea...need input..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by quadrants2, Aug 16, 2005.

1. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

i am thinking of making an indoor root cellar (or fruit cellar) ..
    i want to have a seperate produce sink in my cabin and id like to build a small "cellar" next to it about the size of a broom closet...my question is if i make the "cellar" out of cement blocks or bricks will that help to keep it cool even in the summer and in the winter when my woodburner is baking the rest of the cabin..?
    but if that wont work maybe someone has some better suggestions?

i want to store onions, potatoes, etc in it.
    thanks for your help
    quad

2. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Block works well but an insulated wooden wall may be easier to construct. The ideal location is the northeast corner of the basement to keep warming from the sun at a minimum. A small window to the outside will also be needed for ventilation & air circulation.

Here is a good link to more information:

http://waltonfeed.com/old/cellars.html

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Lots of old houses particularly in Europe have larders. These are small windowless rooms usually on the north side of the house where its coldest. They have small openings to the outside with vents so that you can let cool air into the room. Usually they have stone, tile or marble shelves and were used to store meat,game, vegetables, fruit and cheese.

Also, in many modern Japanese houses, cold storage space is provided under the floor in the kitchen between the floor joists in an unheated crawl space.
    A box or series of boxes is built between two joists with trap doors that open in the floor. Good place to store root vegetables, fruit and other goodies. I even saw pictures of one set up that was basically a set of boxes strung together like rail cars and riding on a continuous track between the joists. You lifted the trap door and slid the boxes down the track past the opening until you got to the bin you wanted. Nifty use of otherwise wasted space. ;)

4. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

We partitioned off a small area in our basement we used unsuilation on the two new walls and the other two walls are the cement. It works very well for us so far. It seems the way you are planning would work out just as well,

RenieB

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone considered building a small heavily insulated room with a ceiling vent, and putting a small window air conditioner in the side of it?? The air conditioner would reduce the high humidity, and keep the temp low. I don't know how low they can lower the temp to?

6. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for the replies...
    im planning on living off grid so the a.c. unti wouldnt work for me but still an interesting idea...
    thanks quad