indoor/outdoor carpeting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 15, 2004.

1. I have a deck made of pressure treated wood and I would like to put indoor/outdoor carpeting on it, but am afraid of mildew - particularly in the screened in areas. Any thoughts?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Depends on where you live, I s'pose.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Our experience is if it gets wet, it becomes very slick. Tracking snow in on it can make it dangerous. Deck boards can be washed with a hose or treated with bleach if needed. You can get a deck wash that keeps it looking new, but not as high class as carpet.

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I ended up taking the carpet off of my deck. It was very hard to keep clean - fir needles, dog hair, etc stuck to it. In one place I had even put the carpet there because when frost hit the uncovered deck it was very slippery. I am leaning toward painting, then putting on area rugs of carpet so I can walk across it on a frosty day without worrying about it being so slick. I don't have snow here much, but imagine if there was, then carpet wouldn't be much help on the slippery part either.

5. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I was going to say the same deberosa keeping that indoor/outdoor carpeting clean is almost impossible IMO.

Imo a sealer mixed with some of that silica sand they put in the paint for painted floors might work well for slick conditions.

Mrs whodunit