indoor/outdoor carpet question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blhmabbott, Jul 29, 2004.

1. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

I've searched this forum and found another thread pertaining to this subject, but what I need isn't exactly like the info I found (I don't think). Here's my problem:

There was indoor/outdoor carpeting up the front walk, and when I pulled it up the green part came up but left the white grid looking stuff. The other thread was talking about a black gummy residue and I don't have that. This carpeting was put down over the concrete walk and some of it is stuck pretty good (not set IN the concrete). I've pulled up what I can of it by just giving it a good yank, but the other half I can't get to budge. Any ideas on how I can get this stuff up? Getting it wet doesn't seem to help. TIA for any suggestions you may have!
    Heather

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Get a heavy scarper on a broom handle and start at it.

Jena

3. henny

henny Guest

There is a carpet adhesive remover, but it is chock full of nasty chemicals that you don't want near your body!

Home Depot and other large hardware stores with flooring supplies will have a long handled (4-5') scraper made for the task. The blades are about 6" wide and are pretty tough. I found using the long handled floor scraper was easier on my body then going down on my hands & knees to use a regular scraper.

henny

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Pressure washer, maybe? Just a thought. A friend used one on his cedar shake siding, and it looked like it actually took some of the wood off the shingles!