Indoor Meat rabbit setup. Small room.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Xanatosnemos, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Xanatosnemos

Xanatosnemos Active Member

Looking for options to move my rabbits indoors (northern new hampshire very cold here in winter, even negative)

Hoping to figure out some tips or suggestions for keeping breeding and convenience/maintenance/cleaning. when it comes to being INDOORS.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I set my cages on a frame made of galvanized pipe and placed
    them over a deep bed of shavings and straw.

That eliminates a lot of the clean-up.

I lined the wall with plastic so it can be rinsed easily
    Picture 001.jpg

3. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

with beafoot farms setup urine guards will help keep them from spraying , check out bass equipment co'.s flush clean system in their catalog

4. DaisyDuke

DaisyDuke Active Member

So despite not being 'allowed' to have any livestock as pets in my town house I am considering trying to raise rabbits in a spare room between now and when I have to move. Any suggestions for a set up that could later be converted to being outdoors? I would like to get a few litters of kits under my belt and get some meat and pelts! My requirements that it be frugal and take minimal time for maintenance. I work too many hours too many days to save up for some land, I don't want to have raising rabbits indoors be a long t plan but just a gateway livestock lol.

5. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

check out bass equipment or kuberances stacking cages. with dropping trays and urine gaurdes they are easy to lean and can house a trio of rabbits ;placed over a linoleum floor or plastic a little spill wound'nt cause damage . the wire cages could be easyly moved to a farm lasting many years . in a rental situation though perhaps you will be better off just reading some good books on and continue to save up for your place . as the dayly cleaning ,and stress and worry of the landlord visiting may cost more than you can gain

Fire-Man likes this.
  6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I rent homes----Mercy I would have a Field day if I found out one of my renters raised rabbits in one of my homes!! I do not think you could be clean enough to raise several cages of rabbits---to keep the smell down in a closed room??

To the original Poster Xanatosnemos, If you are talking about inside a shed etc, not inside your living room---several set-ups you can do. If I was just going to use drop pans I would use something absorbent where it could be scooped out---what ever is cheap--something like cat litter to soak up the urine. Hay does not absorb it---even wet hay with regular water gets a smell after while. I have used DRY sand--it helps a lot but can be on the heavy side. I did a indoor set-up that worked great but I used drain/tilt sheets to cause the urine to run into pvc pipe that ran outside to a make shift septic tank. I caught the poop on window screens right under the cages. There was 24 cages most 30x36, some 30x30 and some 24x24 for smaller rabbits, sometimes counting the babies--close 100 rabbits in there. It worked good but did require regular cleaning to keep the smell to close Zero.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Expect the unexpected Supporter

I use stacking cages for my rabbits. Each cage is a separate unit with a drop pan. So I can stack them 1 high, or 2 high, or 3 high. When I need to do a repair, it is just undo the stack to get to the cage I need to work on.
    I have a nice addition on my garage for my rabbit room. I can protect them from the wind, rain, and the snow. I cannot control the temperature however. In the winter, it gets interesting with frozen water dishes, but I have extras and just swap them out. Bring the frozen ones in pails into the house to thaw out. I use nest boxes, and or wood boards to keep them off the cold wire floors.

dsmythe likes this.
  8. ladytoysdream

Try a couple of cages to start. But go with a couple of pet rabbits. Under 5 pounds full grown. That way you have pets and not livestock. Bigger meat rabbits like New Zeelands and Californians are considered livestock animals.
    So if you raise a litter, then you can sell them as pets. It will give you some rabbit experience.
    Make sure you have the male and female you start with, the same breed. You will get more money for the babies,
    if they are purebreds. Papers are not priority here, unless you are thinking of showing in the future.
    Also you need to check the city or town you live in about rabbits as pets. One of the cities near me, one must have a permit to have a pet rabbit. Yet dogs and cats do not need permits.

DaisyDuke and dsmythe like this.
  9. DaisyDuke

DaisyDuke Active Member

Hmm, I like this idea! I will check with my landlord about 'small caged pets' and try to budget building supplies and a breeding pair of rabbits for the near future. I've been looking into good breeds for marketing to four hers, but only know people with Californians and new Zealand's.

10. ladytoysdream

What state are you in ?
    If you lived close to me, I could suggest a few of my Dutch :)