Indiana Homesteaders Potluck

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MomOf4, May 13, 2006.

1. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

Sorry I haven't posted recently - life has been extremely busy for me.

I haven't had any luck finding a shelter (or one inexpensively) for the gathering in Marion County.

I was able to rent a shelter at McCormick's Creek State Park in Spencer, Indiana on Saturday, June 24th for the entire day. The cost is only $40, so if everyone could pitch in a dollar or two, it would be appreciated.

Shelter rental is all day (7a-11p), but we'll plan on getting set up around 11a, and eating at 12p, and wrap up around 4pm.

If you have never been to McCormick's Creek, you are in for a real treat. There are trails, playgrounds, a waterfall, etc. It is a very nice park.

If you are interested in staying at the park and making a mini-vacation for your family out of the potluck gathering, they have campsites, cabins and an inn onsite. There is a swimming pool, and saddle barn too.

Their website is www.mccormickscreekstatepark.com.

We have the Westbrook Shelter for the day on June 24th.

Please RSVP, and let me know what you plan on bringing for the potluck. I will also be willing to coordinate some games or activities.

Also looking for someone as a co-coordinator to help with ideas, so let me know if you'd like to help.

THANKS! Michelle

2. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

Hope to see you all there.

3. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I can make this sticky, so I am posting to keep it up on the list so we are sure all Indiana Homesteaders see it...

4. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

My mother decided to sell her house and downzsize to an apartment around then, so I might need to go help her move. If I'm in Indiana, though, I'll plan on attending. I'd be really sorry to miss this gathering.

5. NBC3Mom

NBC3Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry to have to miss this---will be in Michigan for a wedding.

6. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun, I'll plan to be there. Let's see, we'll bring devilled eggs and baked beans and probably apple pie. McCormick's Creek is one of our favorite parks - great
    choice! Can do a spinning demo if you are looking for activities like that. Thanks for
    coordinating this event.

7. Jerr4

Jerr4 Poems Pears and Promises

My dw and I would love to attend. We are building our homesite just south of Bloomington. We can bring Potatoe Salad, just let us know what you need. I will make sure to bring the camera.

8. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

I was starting to get worried... :)

I'll keep a list of who and what we have so far, and post it in a couple weeks.

Feedback on demos? I'd, personally, love to see how to spin (though I probably don't have time to take up yet another hobby, it's intriguing to me...)

BTW ~ I didn't mention that I will be there, along with DH and 4 children. I'll probably bring a lunchmeat tray, cheeses and condiments, along with bread. I may even get ambitious and bake a pie!

9. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

Boy and I will plan on being there. (Unless something blows up!)

10. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

My wife and I will plan on being there. June is an extremely busy month for us, but we are going to try to be there.
    Clove

11. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

If so, I just might bring some burgers..good angus 100 % natural homegrown.
    and a bump

12. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

Bump... :)

ericjeeper - I'll find out about the grills and let you know.

Any other Indiana homesteaders???

So far, I have...
    of course, momof4 (6 including my kids)
    ericjeeper
    possibly ajaxlucy
    taylor
    jerr4 (plus 1)
    gailann schrader (plus 1)
    clovis (plus 1)

NBC3Mom - skip the wedding, this'll be MORE FUN!!! :)

Let me know how many each of you will have, so we have a total number of attendees (including kids).

I know there are more Hoosiers out there...

13. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I will try to go. I do not know my work schedule yet to know if I have that Sat off. If I go, I'll bring whatever is still needed by that time. I might be able to convince a kid or two to go, otherwise, it would just be me.

Jena

14. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

Jena - I really hope you can make it!

I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone in person!

15. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

I would love to meet y'all. And, we live less than 10 miles from
    McCormacks State Park.

However, I will likely be near Memphis Tenn. for a campout with Friends.
    I hope Y'all have a good time.
    Perhaps, we can make the next one. Maybe in the Fall, hunnh?
    Y'all take care.

16. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

you can count me in. I'll bring sweet potatoes or regular potatoes, or coleslaw. depends on what we have at the moment. There are 3 of us.

17. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

Has anyone heard of the Hardy's in Southern Indiana? I forgot the name of the small town. they have a really great thing going on the fourth of July when they open their homestead for a weekend. there is a big cookout, there are demonstrations of skills, topics of discussion, lectures, sharing, etc. I have wanted to take my wheel up there but it is such an inconvenient time for me. In the back of my head I had been wanting to suggest something on the same line in Central Ky. (Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery). folks bring tents and RVs and food. A good way to spread skills around, teach what is yours to give and have a good time. I guess folks have to get organized and do cooking chores for the crowd. It's like a community for a couple of days. I would love to include story telling and maybe sing along.

18. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

The town you're referring to is Gentryville, Indiana. I've heard the gathering called 'Countryside Reunion' and that Carla Emery was here just a few years ago--2004, I think? Interesting.

Funny that you posted this question when you did as we were just invited to this exact gathering yesterday! I don't know much about it yet, just that its June 30 through July 2nd with the 'big day' being Saturday July 1st. I do know that we'll see lots of great demonstrations on soap making, laundry soap making n the like--way coolie stuff!

I'm really looking forward to meeting lots o' homesteaders and maybe some homeschoolers, there as we're new to the community.

As for the Indiana gathering this thread is about, we'd love to come but tis about 3 hours or so away from us if I'm thinkin' right. Ya never know though!

~~

19. live on land

live on land God does answer prayers

I plan on being there and posibly camping the weekend also. I do belive that we will bring pasta salad but let me know if you need main food such as hambergers hot dogs and such.

20. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

My mother says she wants me in West Virginia that day to help her move. I'll be so sorry to miss this gathering! Please let's do another one later!