Independent Energy System

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mygrayfarm, Feb 10, 2004.

1. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

There is an ad in the Countryside magazine for an Independent Energy System - looks like it's batteries in an oak cabinet. I tried to go to the web site listed (www.independentenergysystems.biz) and got kicked over to a solar power web site, and was not able to find information on the product. We're in the market for a generator, but this looks like an intriguing option - we wouldn't have to get a propane tank dug in. We experience power failures with maddening frequency and, being on a well, need some type of alternate power to get water for us and our critters.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of backup system, or with this company? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. texican

texican Well-Known Member

What I saw on their site was a 'backup system'. A large system to allow you to finish your critical work on the computer.

Wasn't something you could run a household on.

Having had a solar setup (backup now) you'll need a large battery bank, and some method of generation...solar, hydro, wind, or a backup genny. Batteries alone won't get you very far. Generators will cost you a fortune and wear out quickly if your using it for a whole house system.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The little push-cart system they have looks just like the ones I see in the Northern Tool & Equipment catalog I got yesterday. I'll bet Northern is a lot cheaper....

--->Paul

4. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Propane would be a wise choice if you have constant power outages... and either a diesel/gas/propane generator as well.

Batteries? Unless your intention is to power a computer for a few hours or a few emergency lights... batteries are not gonna cut it.

I have a high end 1400va UPS (uninterruptable power supply... basically batteries and a box which converts DC to AC) for my computers... but basically this is just to filter the power (brownouts, spikes, etc.) and to allow the systems to shutdown gracefully when the power does go out. It was very expensive and is next to useless for extended power outages.

If you intend to run a computer off of power produced by a generator... you'd probably still need a small UPS... just to filter the line... which I'd imagine would be a bit unstable coming from a gen set (computers don't do so well with "wacky" power).

cheers,