Increasing protein levels

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by prairiecomforts, Oct 17, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

The area I live in has suffered a severe drought and hay is hard to find and expensive to boot. I was able to buy some year old hay from a guy who lives 80 miles north of me, so I am considering myself lucky as i was able to buy for my animals and there are some here that are having to sell because they can't. ANyway - to my question - the hay I bought is not that great of quality and I am wondering who I can supplimate my sheep and goats to make sure that they get what they need for protein. I have oats - but there is no corn around here at all. both the sheep and goats are getting their respective minerals and salt - but is there something I can offer grain wise that would give them more protein?

2. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

I'm no pro, but I know we added soyabean meal to our show sheeps grain to up the protein.

Melissa

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We try to feed roasted soybean or micronized soy bean as a suppliment, meal is OK but I feel the sheep are able to actually eat the crushed bean better. I'm no fan of pelleted feed but they work OK as a suppliment. You can talk to your vet or feed ration expert about treating the hay with nitrogen to boost protein.........

4. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Ross - when you feed meal, don't you have problems with dust? I talked to our feed place about getting something mixed up, if I provided them with the ration, and believe it or not - they laughed when I said it was for sheep and goats!! I walked out talking to myself a little about that one! :shrug:

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

it's not really a dry fly about dust, more like moist-ish crumbly dust. The biggest problem i found was waste, and I don't feed it often. Can't say I ever connected it to a breathing ailment or choking etc.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Add molassas to the feed - it will eliminate the dustiness and really imporves the flavor. We use soy bean meal and alfalfa pellets to up the protein in our special sheep mix.

7. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

If you've got an ethanol plant in your area ..
    Check with them on the DDGs ( distillers dried grains )
    great souce of protein for livestock .. and should be cheap ..

Triff ..