What's the best way to get more juice to my wires of my high-tensile fence? I saw a deer mosey right through the wire this evening. Not a pop! Apparently, there's very little juice (even though the meter indicates there is enough).
with it so dry here we are haveing a problem with the grounding pole.I found soaking the ground then takeing a milk jug and filling w/ water and a very small pin hole in the bottom keeps the ground wet enough for the ground to work.
I always put in three or four ground rods about eight feet apart and clamp the ground wire in a continuous loop. Also check to see if the ground is wet like Renee said. I have seen deer go through my fence, it's a three wire and they don't get shocked, my dog goes through it also and does get it once in a while.
Dry ground is a common problem with electric fences. That's why some people run grounded fence wires in with the hot wires. Then when a deer tries to go through, it will touch a hot wire and a ground wire and get a shock.
Five wires; bottom hot, then ground, hot, ground, hot. The top wire is always hot, no matter how many wires you have.
Of course, what the others said about the importance of putting in several ground rods is important. At least three, spaced 10 feet apart.
You can usually find a measurement of a fence charger's power written in joules. A weak charger is .25 joules. A light charger is .75 joules. A good charger is 3 joules. You can get them up to 16 joules. You don't want to accidently touch any fence with a charger that is 6 joules or above. You'll be very sorry you did.
A forum community dedicated to living sustainably and self sufficiently. Come join the discussion about livestock, farming, gardening, DIY projects, hobbies, recipes, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!