Inconclusive Angry Cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Jena, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I figured I'd better be hush-hush about this as the media seems to be...I had to google the news to find the report.

A cow has turned up with an "inconclusive" test in the preliminary bse screening. They won't say where unless the "real" test comes back positive (very wise I think). It will take 4-7 days for that test to be done.

I just sold a few calves Thursday...$129/cwt!!! We are getting ready to sell some older, but still serviceable cows...with slaughter prices as high as they are, we have to ask at least $800 for an old cow (still having calves year after year).

So much for all that. No matter how the test comes out, I'm sure the market will dive next week and then take a while to recover again.

My husband is a little more on the paranoid side than I am. He swears "they" pull mad cows out of their hats whenever "they" think we might actually make some money. I'm starting to wonder if he has a point....

Jena

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

He is probably right about the money thing--also , they are meeting resistance to their "cattle ID" garbage, so another "scare" may be in order to get more support fot it. We have to be CONTROLLED.

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm speculating that it's being kept fairly quiet till they have a more accurate answer for fear that it does cause problems with the market. I hope for everybody's sake that it was just a false posative. Nobody needs the grief that another posative will cause. Please keep us informed as you hear.

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Jena, calves here were selling for up to $175/cwt at the local auction 2 weeks ago! :eek:

I picked up a nice little bull (now steer) for $75/cwt, though. He was a bit on the small side (70 lbs) and looks to maybe be a Jersey cross, which is probably why he went cheap.

He spends so much time running full-tilt from one end of the pasture to the other, we've been joking that he's really a thoroughbred cross! :haha:

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Mine were a bit bigger...like 400-500 pounds. They were weaned, but a bit early.

Jena

6. wr

I'm hearing that there is another animal that tested inconclusive as well. Still no possible information till at least Friday. I hate the wait but can sure understand the need for clear and accurate answers.

7. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Do I remember correctly that when the first mad cow was discovered,
    they said the Iowa testing was inconclusive and they had to send
    the sample to England? But now they are saying Iowa can tell for sure?
    Ann

8. wr

I do know that they did have to send to England for further testing. Maybe the labs in our respective countries have upgraded their facilities or maybe that happens next if they have inconclusive results. I kinda thought they go on to England if they get a posative result to get a second opinion but it's been a while and my memory isn't always that great :eek:

9. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Do I remember correctly that when the first mad cow was discovered,
    they said the Iowa testing was inconclusive and they had to send
    the sample to England? But now they are saying Iowa can tell for sure?
    Ann

10. wr

Good news for you all, I heard this afternoon that the first animal tested negative for BSE at the lab in Iowa :D I hope the second one is the same.

11. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Yup...one down, one to go. Dirty rats managed to knock the market though.

England was the only place that could test to bse, but we can do it at Ames now.

Jena