Incomplete wether?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jen H, May 11, 2005.

1. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I bought this wether a little over a year ago. He's been running with our other wether, a sheep wether, and a ewe with no problems. No signs whatsoever of getting "bucky".

We just brought home a 3 month old doe (she's sooooo cute!) and introduced them this morning. I had a length of pvc pipe with me in case I needed it, and boy am I glad I thought to grab it. The yearling started the tongue babbling thing and mounted her. I had to beat him off, then he started peeing on himself.

I felt around and sure enough there's one small marble thing right where the testicles would have been. I don't know how I missed it before - I guess I never had a reason to look that hard. He's in the dog run with the sheep wether for company now and goes to the vet to finish the half-way job tomorrow morning.

How common is this? Was he just wethered too early? I always waited until they were 3 weeks old to make sure all the equipment had dropped and they had their first CD/T shot, is that not common practice?

I really wouldn't mind using him as a buck - he has beautiful lines and nice hair. But I'm not set up for a buck right now, and I doubt whatever equipment he does have left is in working order.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Was he banded? My friend has a whether who had to be recastrated, because the band didn't chatch both testicles. he was bucky untill after the second operation, then returned to normal. to tell you the truth, you probably really dont want to have a buck. they stinck, theyre mean, they are unpredictable and alot of hassle. stick with a whether. if youre gonna breed your doeling, find a buck that you like and arrange to have her bred by him for a fee. it's alot easier.

3. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

If he's not shown signs of being a buck before (and it's obvious!) then likely you don't have a problem. Neutering takes their interest level down several notches, but it doesn't eliminate it. Wethers are fully capable of mounting does and flirting with does, they just don't quite carry it to the extreme a buck will ...

Leva

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I haven't seen a wether do this before. The other guy is shoving her around a bit, but just the normal pecking order/ getting to know each other stuff (she's set up with a dog house for when things get overwhelming). I think I'll keep the appt. tomorrow to see what it is I'm feeling where there isn't supposed to be anything anymore.

I was actually taking a really hard look at my ewe today wondering if she really is just chubby or ??????