Income taxes???

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by caroline00, Dec 22, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Last night, my husband handed me all the info I need to do our taxes.

Can I file before the first of the year? Do I need to wait? He workes seasonally and this is his off season, so he will not have any more income/expenses for work.

Our other things never change.

Thanks!

2. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Well you have to have W2's and/ or 1099's if he works for anyone else, so I dont' see how you have those forms alreasy unless he is self employed.

I would call the IRS, they have help line to answer questions staffed with "real live" people.

www.irs.gov

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I would be very careful if you have all the forms in hand. Our considerate congress passed changes AFTER the tax forms and booklets were sent out by the IRS. You should check with the www.irs.gov website.

Mike

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, if they changed the laws after things were printed, how do we know what to do? are they printing new ones?

yes, he is self employed

5. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

If I were you, I'd wait till after the 1st. It's only a couple of weeks. Filing earlier might give them a reason to flag you for audit -- you never know.

I always do ours the moment those w2's and 1099's are in hand. This year I may wait till April though because I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be writing a check instead of cashing one!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wait until January. He might get a big check for Christmas from a very satisfied customer which should be included. Ole Uncle Sam will get pouty if he catches it. Also you can't report 2006 income until the year is over.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Don't forget to make your claim for overpaid telephone excise tax.

8. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I think that you cannot file until Jan 1st. But, you can prepare the return and get it in an envelope, addressed and ready to go, then run it to the PO on the 1st, or the 2nd, or whatever day they open. Don't forget to send it return receipt/certified.

9. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

My understanding is that they will have new forms and information on the www.irs.gove website but that they will not be mailing out corrected forms.

Mike

10. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't get W-2 till end Jan. However I complete the tax forms ASAP- helps me budget if money owed etc and be sure I don't lose data.