income needed any ideas?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by txairtech, Apr 18, 2005.

1. txairtech

txairtech New Member

Thanks for letting me join your forum.

I am off work this week because business is slow. This has been mentioned as being possible by my employer in the past, but it finally happened this week. I am to return next week but I wanted to know if anyone out there has been able to make a living doing something at home. Just the thought of being off for a period time in the past has concerned me. I would like to find a way to pick up the slack here at home "just in case" this becomes regular. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Tommy

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Make a living? No. Some do, but not myself.

But, it is springtime. Spending the week putting in a vegetable garden might be usefull. I can get really cheap seeds at the dollar store, and cheap tomato plants at K-mart. Don't buy a lot of tools: just dig and seed and water. A little fertilizer would make them bear better but is not vital.

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

First off , welcome I see you are new today. What part of TX are you located in ?
    You could start a lawn service and mow lawns if in an area with a fair population, as above, garden.
    Put you name on a substitute teacher list for local schools. The year is about over but there is always a need for subs. You don't have to go in unless you want and get $50 /day give or take depending on the district.More for degreed than non degreed.
    Yard sales and resale.
    Ed

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Tommy,

If really, you can't bring yourself to take one week off -- visit BC, go to Mexico, Hawaii, . . . hmmm -- then offer to work at anything for a lower wage. If you make $20, work for $10, if $10, then $5, etc.

If you live on a farm, or Homestead, then there is no question, you have projects which are never ending.

Use your imagination, then do it.

Have fun,

Alex

PS If you want to replace you whole job-life with an at-home-job, well that is different. There are lots of things to do. If you want to be involved, then you need to think of things you CAN do AND like to do -- then go for it. If you want money and not to be involved, then you need to think of other things -- like stocks, or (?). Or something in between, like owning real estate -- WHICH IS A BUSINESS, not just a get rich quick scheme, and still takes lots of hands on.

Homesteading, or farming and living frugally are not jobs that you get a regular payment for; but maybe you can get by, if you are clever, work hard, and love making things do, or making everything do, or work -- with what you have on hand (?).

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I was talking to a woman in Target, last night. My girls were wanting, wanting, wanting, when we originally wne there for my sons PE uniform.

She told me that she buys clothes from Ross and resells them on Ebay. She said she cleared over $150 proffit off $32 worth of clothes.

If you have the time, I would suggest something like this.

6. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy books at library sales and resell them at a swap meet. Usually clear about 100% of the purchase price-- $.50 purchase price on a paperback, I sell it for $1, hardbacks run between $1-2 and I sell them for $3.

It takes knowing your market -- romances novels don't sell well except for Nora Roberts for some reason, thrillers and mysteries and horror and SF all sell REALLY well. Stephen King sells like you wouldn't believe. So I have specific authors I look for. And the books have to be shiny and pretty and look new or people won't buy them ... go fig.

Leva

7. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

My nephew couldn't afford to go to college this year so he started selling items on eBay. He goes to second hand stores and garage sales and then resells them on eBay. I don't know whether he concentrates on any particular items or not. He clears $900 a month.

Bobg