Include the baby?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by HesterDaddy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

A quick question... I have and adult pair of Romanovs and the ewe is pregnant, due to deliver in about 4 weeks. With them I have a babydoll ewe I aquired a few months ago who is about a year old. I have just obtained a 7 week old weaned babydoll ram who I have had in his own small pen next to the corral/pasture area where my other three are living. He's been there for a couple of weeks. I know that adult rams become competitive, but I'm wondering if it's okay to let the little guy out into the corral with the others. I know they're herd animals, and kinda hate to have him closed up all the time while the others are roaming around. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Your old ram will "teach" the new one who is king of the pasture. They will come to terms. If one is quite a bit smaller, though, he can hurt the bigger one.

When your ewe is ready to drop the lambs, seperate her from the boys. The rams will butt the baby.

3. CCSheep

CCSheep Member

I made a big mistake last fall year thinking that my "docile" (to humans) rams would take a young ram lamb into their fold and be gentleman. I didn't want him to be alone when it was time to wean him from his mother and he was too young to use for breeding so thought it was a logical solution to put him in with "the boys".

He died about 3 weeks ago, at 10 months old, after losing weight and doing poorly for over 2 months just out of the blue. I wormed him first and waited for him to improve. I isolated him and gave him TLC, grain, best hay, all he wanted to eat (he didn't have much of an appetite no matter what I fed him), had the vet out, who thought he had eaten some wire and did his treatment for that, all kinds of TLC ...but he died and we autopsied him to find that he had been bruised severely on his reticulum, from the outside the hit was so hard it bruised it and crossed a major artery which bled internally into the stomach cavity and had a blood clot in his stomach with over a quart of blood in it...a slow death.

One of the rams was particularly pushy with him especially after breeding time upon returning to the ram pen. It's really the only thing that could have caused the damage he had, according to my vet as there were no signs of any accident, like going through a fence, etc. Management error....one I won't make again.

Jami B.
    Ellensburg, WA