In Tune With It All

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldmanriver, Jan 13, 2005.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Ever notice how much more important the seasons, weather and all things of nature once you are on the homested. Yesterday I was able to cut some thorn trees bushhoged about 5 acres and the weather was great. Today I want to go work on the leveling the spot for the new barn but we have rain and the temp is droping by the hour. Oh well change of plans!

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Absolutely! The meaning has changed. When we lived in town, good weather like this in the middle of winter meant the beach, or a party outside. Nowadays...well, these last two weeks of warm weather meant we got the new barn roof on that much sooner, and the new pump house built! Got the feed room cleaned out, too! If it'll hold through this weekend, I've got flower beds I want to set up! If it doesn't hold...well, I've got my mixes in the kitchen to update, and the pantry to clean out!

Meg

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

You got that right. I have never been especially aware of things like prevailing wind directions and exactly when the sunrise/sunset are, and I sure am now!

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

The weather channel sure helps me be in tune with things :) It was really nice and warm yesterday, but I knew it would be over today. I worked hard yesterday to get a bunch of stuff done in the good weather because it should be the last for a while.

Jena

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

thanks for bringing this up. it is the exact reason i live the way i do- to be more aware of the wild world around me.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When you are solar powered you really notice! If it snowed, you have to run out and sweep the panels. And if it is overcast, you have to really watch how much power you are using.

7. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

Weather effects everything here. When I got home tonight the Goats were out which I thoght odd due to the fact I have great fences but when I checked they had been able to walk over the fence due to a snow drift. The same drifting snow had to be shoveled to allow the horses access to the water tank. I hope I have a tractor next year!!!

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Maybe snow fences in strategic locations would prevent the drifts and save you a lot of work?

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Yep, I know what you mean. Last night me and the wife cleared 6 to 8 inches of snow off of our 500 ft drive and areas in front and behind our pole barn. I drove the plow truck and she manned the snowblower. After an hour or so of snow removal, we walked the driveway in the pitch black of night, under a star-spangled sky, to admire our handy work. Later, we mounted the snowmobiles are drove 10 miles thru the woodland trails to our favorite watering hole for supper. A perfect evening!

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I noticed a big difference when I had to live in town and even worse when I had to spend time in a very urban metro area (one of the most miserable times in my life - I hated it with a passion)

I came back to the farm for hunting season after I lived in the urban area I noticed a serious degradation in my senses and even my hunting and woods skills. Took a couple of weeks until I got halfway back into to tune with things.

I was standing in what people in a city call a park once admiring a pair of sun dogs which in scientific nomenclature are called parhelia. A few people stopped and asked what I was looking at and I showed them and tried to explain the phenomenon and they looked at me like I was admiring a mound of feces.

I have traveled quite extensively and just never felt comfortable unless I was in a rural area. I never felt totally at ease when I was in a foreign country no matter how nice the place was or even how nice the people were. I certainly never felt at home in a city or urban area no matter where it was at. I never really felt at home until I was back on my own land and in the quiet and serenity of nature. My kin always were the ones on the frontier and away from cities all the way back from they landed in the new world back in the mid 1600s. None of them have been able to stomach living in cities for long as far as I know. I would imagine if this place ever gets unbearably crowded (not likely thankfully) I'll have to pull up stakes and move to the frontier where ever that may be. I think that kind of thing is genetic.