in the aftermath...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by betty modin, Dec 15, 2006.

1. betty modin

betty modin Well-Known Member

In the aftermath of last night's big storm, I sit and watch the snow fall outside the window as it softly fills up the woods across the driveway. The woodstove quietly crackles and songs of the season peacefully fill the background. The area behind the barn will need some cleanup after the high winds last night. The sheep couldn't get into the barn until I moved a couple large branches that fell from the tall fir trees back there before I got home. It seems that I just made it home from work before the highway was closed by trees uprooted in torrential rain and 90 mile an hour winds. My little car had trouble staying on the road all the long 30 miles home. There are a few large branches down across the driveway, the snow is covering them as I write. I have no need to go out now-or any time today-so I'll clean up the driveway tomorrow. Today I'm just counting my blessings as I read about all the damage caused up and down the NW Pacific area and in the western Cascade range (where I live). I wouldn't trade this life for anything...betty

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'm glad you came through it so well! We're also largely intact and warm and toasty.

The pasture shelter was destroyed, though, so I have to get into town for building materials. It should be interesting to see how things fared in town.

3. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

We lost half of a fir tree - but fortuantely it landed away from the road and from our driveway so it can just lay where its at until we get a chance to clean it up. Everything else is intact.

We lost power just as I was finishing making dinner - so at least we had a hot meal. Had a nice dinner by candle light and then a couple of hours later the power came back on just in time for Survivor.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Bet, I like your style of writing, smooth, simple, 'back door' descriptions, its good. "Snow filling the woods", ect.

5. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Glad your making the most out of the storm. I am watching it closely, It may be our best chance for a white christmas here is S Ohio. We've been enjoying temps in the 50s and 60s the last few weeks.