In Support of Fur?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CountryGoalie, Feb 24, 2005.

1. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I debated as to which forum to place this - my first thought was the Classroom forum, as I am looking for support materials for an essay through my English curriculum, but I didn't think that I'd get as much response for what I need there. I also considered the General Chat forum, but I was afraid I'd start a debate. :rolleyes: I know that this isn't really a question pertaining directly to homesteading, but this seemed the best place to ask.

Quite basically, my English handbook, when speaking of essays, talks about how one should go out and find support materials. I don't visit the library often, and I'm not sure how many books I could find in support of the use of fur. Thus, I'm asking around here. Does anyone know of any good websites / articles in support of the use of fur?

I'm looking to read varying points of view on the support of using fur. Who knows, perhaps someone has a point I hadn't even thought of! Thus far most of what I've come up with in the support of it is that fur is a renewable resource, and quite a bit of fur can be found as a byproduct of the meat industry (mostly rabbit in mind, here), and as a religious reason, the verse from Genesis that talks about man having dominion over the earth.. I need to look up that reference, as well.

All help is truly appreciated!
    -Hannah, homeschooled high school senior

2. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

3. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

I think there's a big difference between killing an animal only for it's hide and using the hide as a by-product. I wouldn't wear mink, but I wear leather. I don't eat mink.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

You don't eat mink?? We do in my neighborhood.

mikell

6. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

As a mom of home schooled kids, I'm not sure I'd want others doing the research for my kids :rolleyes: The library is a wonderful place to learn to love! ;)

7. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I am not asking others to do research for me. I fully intend to read whatever articles and websites are mentioned - I am not asking someone to write it for me! However, searches I have done all seem to turn up articles completely against fur - the majority of which are, of course, from animal rights websites :rolleyes: - and was wondering if anyone else knew of some good articles about it.

Our local library is very small and contains very little that would be of interest to most of the things I would write - or, for that matter, read, as it seems that most of the space is filled with sci-fi (which I enjoy, but it isn't really helpful), romance, and children's books. The library in the closest city isn't near enough to prove useful, as my mother works early hours and I know our library doesn't open at 5am. ;)

Thank you to whomever it was that listed the links and gave the suggestion of using "pelt" instead of "fur" in my search - I hadn't thought of using that word instead.

Good day, everyone.
    -Hannah

8. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

Check out the National Trappers Association, they should have all the info you need

9. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. Killing an animal to hang the head on the wall is cruel. Killing a deer to eat it, and saving the head to mount is another thing. (not MY thing, but to each his own) I wear cowhide shoes, and I eat beef.

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

So you're looking for support for the use of fur....hummm? Well, the only thing I can think of right off the bat is that one benefit of using baby seal fur in a full length coat is that it is soooooo warm.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

we have been draping our nakked skin in fur since we jumped out of the trees....

if your eating the critter.... dont let the fur go to waste.
    if your going to raise it in a cage, then electrocure it with a rod up its wazzoo just to have a fashionable coat you need that thing shoved up your wazzoo too.

take "fashion" and "profit" out of the reason and if it isnt for either /or its ok.

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I agree that fashion is a foolish reason to do anything, but profit is the reason we do most of what we do, and I don't think there is anything more wrong with raising animals for their fur, for a profit, than with any other kind of livestock raising. As long as the animals are treated well. Keep in mind that if the animals are over-stressed, or aren't fed properly, that their pelts will suffer, so it is in the best interests of the farmer to house and feed his animals right. This is the same reason that dictates the care of any livestock, besides humanitarian concerns for their well-being. That *should* be there, but if it isn't then the self-interest of the farmer will dictate that his animals be well cared for, or they won't produce well for him, and his profits will disappear. So profit is actually a good thing when it comes to caring for animals.

Kathleen

13. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I have nothing against fur. I made a living as a kid trapping critters and taking their fur. Did I eat them? No I didn't. But like someone said, it's about money. And a pound of hamburger I bought tasted better to me than a cotton mink anyday with money left over. I remember in the middle 70's getting 30 bucks for a coon.

14. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

I don't condem anyone who hunts or traps. I've just seen too many dead bucks with their heads cut off and the body left to rot. That's not right. I also had a visit to a mink farm when I was a kid. I never wanted to wear farmed fur after that and just decided that I'd rather use the whole animal if it has to die. I'm also not against killing pests that endanger my livestock - fox, coon, etc. and using the pelts. I just think things shouldn't be wasted.

15. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

16. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

using fur also goes hand in hand being a good stewart of the land, something also talked of in the Holy Bible.

as far as websites go, Gary at moscow hide and fur has been in the fur trade for many years and may be able to give you insite for research, he is a state senator for idaho but generally answers questions when asked in a non political manner. And although the site itself doesnt have much to offer in the way of research materials, it may give you something to look at in the links directory. the first link there "Lentas shoppe" is one of my nieghbors, and she might be a host of information as chuck has been a trapper since coming back from the south east asian war in the 70's and has made his income from mostly that angle......

Research is fun, and youve picked a hard topic to not get caught in a political debate, hope you can stay objective.

William

17. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

18. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Guess what else is real warm? Wool...