Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little down this weekend after losing my job of 11 years on Friday. I was QA Manager at a plastics plant and they let me go. Since I've been in that job I've helped reduce customer returns in each year from $50,000+ per quarter to less than $5,000 per year. But when the Ohio facility was closed and they flooded us with dozens of unknown products and no support from Ohio or support from engineering our rejects climbed to nearly $100,000 in two months. The owner has every right to be mad but all I could do is provide the system to stop rejects but it only works as long as plant manager, engineering, supervisors, and the operators themselves follow it. In hindsight (always 20/20) I believe we had turned the corner and were on the mend but the owner was just too angry and needed a scapegoat. We all shared the blame but he singled me out because my title had the word "quality" in it.

I can't say I didn't see it coming but it was like watching a dike develop hundreds of holes and me trying to plug them up with my fingers while most of the others employees continued to knock holes in it. Frustrating. I was getting more stressed each day with that job so maybe it was a blessing. I am hurt and relieved at the same time.

Anyway, please pray that I find a comparable job with less stress.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Remember that nothing can happen to you unless God allows it. So accept this as His Will and try not to be bitter or angry towards the people who appear to have put you in this predicament. God has a purpose and a plan for your life and He know where He wants you and He knows how to get you there. Sometimes He puts us between Pharaoh and the Red Sea so that He can work a mighty miracle in our lives. Use this as an opportunity to learn to trust in the deliverance of God! Learn to sing the song of Moses on this side of the Red Sea. Underneath you are the everlasting arms and they cannot fail.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly right. I'm trying to cling to the well-said "When God closes one door he opens another one". I'm trying to see this as an opportunity/challenge that God has given me. But my human side is also trying to bite me.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
How many times have you seen or heard someone say "that would be a great opportunity/job, but I have a job I'm good at, so I'll stay here...maybe later..."? This really sounds like a case of God closing the door so that you'll SEE the window open :) So often we don't notice when something that is meant for us flies by. If you watch, and listen, and pray, you'll find the direction that God wants you to try.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
It may very well be that the Lord wants to use this opportunity for you to overcome that "human side". Ask the Lord what it is He wants for you to learn from this lesson. Ask Him to give you wisdom and strength to overcome and He will.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Daddyof4,

I, too, am going thru some very heavy trials right now.
Last night I read this, and it really encouraged me as direction from
the LORD.

Romans 4:20 (Amplified Bible)

No unbelief or distrust made him waver (doubtingly question) concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong and was empowered by faith as he gave praise and glory to God,
It's regarding Abraham holding onto the promise of GOD as the father
of many nations.
He kept his focus on GOD alone.
His faith was boistered by giving GOD praise.
Every time I wake up in the night and begin to worry, I start praising GOD.
Every time during the day I begin to doubt, I start praising GOD.
I praise Him because He is merciful, because He is truth, because He
is loving, and because He is faithful.
I see my trials as the work of the enemy.
I see myself as having authority over the enemy.
(This is difficult sometimes, but if I believe the word of God, I have to
believe it!)
I see and am THANKFUL that GOD uses these trials to change me.
I have repented of sin I didn't know was in my life.
I have questioned my faith down to the very core.
I am learning to say:
I am not in control.
I cannot do it in my own power.
I must rely on You. COMPLETELY.
I am learning to curl up in the bosom of GOD and say,
You are my Father. You are my GOD. I trust you today.
And as Cyng said, I DOUBT MY DOUBTS!
When a doubt comes: That tumor is going to kill my beloved, I say,
I doubt that. God is merciful. He hears my cry.
And lastly I cling to this very simple verse:

Psalm 120:1 (Amplified)

IN MY distress I cried to the Lord, and He answered me.

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
Daddyof4,
I've read your posts and know you to be a man of faith. Sometimes it seems that those who are strong in their faith are the ones who face the toughest trials. My Mother use to tell me it was because when you're a threat to satan he tries to stop you. If we are worrying, we aren't as effective of a witness.

In Matthew 6:26 we are reminded at how gracious our Lord is at supplying our needs. In fact, throughout the Bible we can see this. The loaves and the fish, the widow's oil, etc. There are times when we look at things through our natural eyes that it seems impossible, yet we know from studying the Bible that with God nothing is impossible.

It can be a scary thing to be without a job and knowing you have a family to support, especially during a time of economic unrest such as we have. But I know that God has always been faithful, regardless of what things may seem.

In my life things have happened to make me get out of my comfort zone. In doing so, I have grown in my faith. Maybe it's time to get out of your own comfort zone and see where God is leading you through this. Examine your own walk with Him. I have no doubt that God will open another door for you, or find a way for you to provide for your family, but in the meantime, search your heart and see what areas God may be trying to increase your faith. After all, that is why we go through trials and tribulations. Use this as a time to draw closer to God and rely even more on Him.

I have a tendency to try to do everything myself, many times leaving God out of the equation. God wants to be a part of everything in your life. Is he?

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
I remember when I lost my last full time job: I was told I was "NOT EFFICIENT" enough.

2 days later, we got the news that we had been selected to adopt children: we had been trying for many years!

Perhaps the Good Lord wanted me to be a stay-at -home Mom? Though I DID work many weekends after that, I did not work full time again. And, I might have tried to if I had kept that job: it was a darned good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the prayers all. I do believe God is opening a new chapter in my life. My brother called yesterday before the Thanksgiving dinner to wish us all a happy and thankful day and he was very encouraging.

I've been way up and then way down over the past few days but now my "way up" time is squashing my "way down" time. Yesterday being surrounded by family and good food and knowing just how incredible our blessings are. I thank God that I did get 10 weeks severance and that I put his at His feet to direct me toward where he wants me to be.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
This is one of my favorite Scriptures when I'm facing a battle:

Thus says the Lord to you, ‘Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed at this great horde, for the battle is not yours but God's. 16 Tomorrow go down against them. Behold, they will come up by the ascent of Ziz. You will find them at the end of the valley, east of the wilderness of Jeruel. 17 You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed. Tomorrow go out against them, and the Lord will be with you.”

18 Then Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground, and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell down before the Lord, worshiping the Lord. 19 And the Levites, of the Kohathites and the Korahites, stood up to praise the Lord, the God of Israel, with a very loud voice.

20 And they rose early in the morning and went out into the wilderness of Tekoa. And when they went out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, “Hear me, Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem! Believe in the Lord your God, and you will be established; believe his prophets, and you will succeed.” 21 And when he had taken counsel with the people, he appointed those who were to sing to the Lord and praise him in holy attire, as they went before the army, and say,

“Give thanks to the Lord,
for his steadfast love endures forever.”

22 And when they began to sing and praise, the Lord set an ambush against the men of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah, so that they were routed. 23 For the men of Ammon and Moab rose against the inhabitants of Mount Seir, devoting them to destruction, and when they had made an end of the inhabitants of Seir, they all helped to destroy one another.

24 When Judah came to the watchtower of the wilderness, they looked toward the horde, and behold, there [5] were dead bodies lying on the ground; none had escaped. 25 When Jehoshaphat and his people came to take their spoil, they found among them, in great numbers, goods, clothing, and precious things, which they took for themselves until they could carry no more. They were three days in taking the spoil, it was so much. 26 On the fourth day they assembled in the Valley of Beracah, [6] for there they blessed the Lord. Therefore the name of that place has been called the Valley of Beracah to this day. 27 Then they returned, every man of Judah and Jerusalem, and Jehoshaphat at their head, returning to Jerusalem with joy, for the Lord had made them rejoice over their enemies. 28 They came to Jerusalem with harps and lyres and trumpets, to the house of the Lord. 29 And the fear of God came on all the kingdoms of the countries when they heard that the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel. 30 So the realm of Jehoshaphat was quiet, for his God gave him rest all around.
2 Chron 20:15-30

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Thanks for the prayers all. I do believe God is opening a new chapter in my life. My brother called yesterday before the Thanksgiving dinner to wish us all a happy and thankful day and he was very encouraging.

I've been way up and then way down over the past few days but now my "way up" time is squashing my "way down" time. Yesterday being surrounded by family and good food and knowing just how incredible our blessings are. I thank God that I did get 10 weeks severance and that I put his at His feet to direct me toward where he wants me to be.
Giving the situation to God is the best thing you can do. Next thing is to trust that He's moving on your behalf. Now just go about your business, put your resume out there, etc. And get ready to be awed!

My daughter has been in your situation twice in the last 5 years (her companies went out of business). And each time, God provided something better. This last time, she put her resume on the local Craigslist and had several promising inquiries within hours! She ended up with a job closer to home, making a better salary, less stressful.

So don't you get discouraged. I'll be believing (with you) that God has something awesome in your future. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sonshine. God is so good. Pastor Ben called the other day and said he had some really good news for me. A lady in the church is adopting a little girl and needs some help fixing up her house (about two days work) so they are hiring me to do it as opposed to paying someone they don't know an arm and a leg for shoddy work. And then he had a bonus blessing that we had $700 left for us in the donations on Sunday. One person left $200 and one person stuffed $500 in twenties into an envelope. Both are anonymous (but I have my suspicions). WHAT A BLESSING!!

I am putting this entire situation in the Lord's hand. I keep trying to pick it up and chew on it but it is He who will guide us and provide for us.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Praise God for those blessings! Keep on singing your song of trust in God and He will see you through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts