in need of milk cows

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by myersfarm, Dec 25, 2004.

1. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i have two old milk cows that i use for nurse cows that are getting past there prime and every calf is a bull.....i need any kind of milk cow jersey if possible does anybody know were i can buy or where they are for sale?? you can post here or email me at ....kze142124@yahoo.com ... thanks for the help

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Alas, I have no cattle to sell you.

But, I was wondering....About how many calves a year does a nurse cow raise? I have as many dreams as the next person, and i have always wanted to know.

Thanks.

3. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hi
    Have you considered the Dexter Cow. You can learn a lot on the Dexter site
    htp:// dakodan.net/dexters/ and there are some Dexters for sale in your area.

Ken in Minn

4. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Where are you located in Missouri. If in the northern reaches there is some people in South Central IA that have jerseys.

5. myersfarm

i will travel as far as nessecery to buy the right cow if you could ome up with a phone # i would greatly apprrecate it thanks

6. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

I can put you in touch with a lady in Virginia who has a young Jersey/Dexter cow for sale. She also has a Dexter/Angus heifer.

Are you interested?

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

7. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Be warned with the price that dairies are getting for milk especially jersey milk you're gonna pay top dollar for a dairy cow at the moment. You may want to wait until the spring calves arrive and try to get a nice heifer to raise up.

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I *THINK* that the college in Columbia, Missouri has a dairy. I have a vague recollection of seeing Holstein cattle on what I thought was college land. I believe the University of Arkansas has a herd of Holsteins, also.

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Yes, and 4-6 month old heifer calves are going for as much as $2000. I am talking very good stock, their Dams are giving 20,000-35,000lbs of milk over a 305 day lactation period.

Day old calves are going for as much as $600+. Cows ready to calf can go up to $3000.00 for a holstein. So be ready! You can get some for $1200, but their genetics might not be good, then again maybe the farm is getting rid of them because they have wayyy to many.

Jeff

10. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Try finding a friendly smuggler. Just bought 4 fresh, registered young Holstein cows with generations of deep pedigrees for a total of $1200 US. Averaging 85 lbs per day.

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I hope a friendly smuggler wouldn't also be a friendly cow rustler :). I know it happens, and I know of a guy that did that, they rustled cows in CT and Mass..

Jeff

12. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

Hmm.....good thing they weren't down here. I believe that rustling is still (literally) a hanging offense in TX. :D

13. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

No Jeff. There are actually people here who would gladly give you decent older cows, they have heifers calving, too much milk, and selling the older cows won't cover the cost of the trucking a lot of weeks.

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well luckily the guy got caught and was put in jail for a while. Thing is, from what I heard, he was the fall guy.

Jeff

15. myersfarm

16. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Actually UP here (Ontario). THat's where the smuggler comes in.

17. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

As a personal opinion, I would be very carefull with smuggled cows. You never know where they came from, if they have papers then its genuine. If not, who knows.

However, I much rather deal with an individual. I would never buy from a dealer or an auction barn. Only because you never know what you might be getting, and the consensus I get from breeders, and other farms is the same, its risky. With the animals I am going to be getting, I know where they came from, I can see the Dams records, I can see what they eat, quality of feed they eat. I can ask them what they feed them, I also can get a feel with how they take care of their animals. All three farms im going with, treat their animals with respect.

Jeff