In NEED of a Good Goat's Milk Soap Recipe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by malickfarms, Oct 12, 2006.

1. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I want to make some goats milk soap for some friends who have been bugging me for some--Plus I must say I love it myself!

Plus I want to make some for Christmas--since it snowed in MI today--I'm getting in the holiday mood! LOL

I am NEED of a good soap recipe--I just aren't having luck on the net or library. So, I know my goat buddies will come through--

Thanks,
    April

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

If you're not opposed to animal fats, try lard in your recipe. It makes the best soap (I know, because a soap making vegetarian friend used a bar accidentally and raved over it!) Have you made soap before? Lots of soaping advice on the craft/cooking forum. Otherwise, let me know if you'd like me to walk you through it. I do sheep milk soaps.

3. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

note all of the measurements are by weight like a postal scale, and don't forget Vinegar, and safety equip, gloves, glasses. only stainless steel, glass, and plastic utensils and containers.

try 32 0z of frozen goat milk, take it out of your freezer let set for awhile and then chunk up with a knife. While you are waiting on it to thaw a little for chopping. Heat 38 oz of lard on the stove in a large SS pan, when it is melted half way stirring constantly turn off heat, using a whisk stir and add 24 oz of Coconut oil, this stuff is liquid at around 70 degreess and a solid when colder. after the lard and coconut oils are mostly mixed further add 24 oz of one of the following (olive oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil) now your oils are ready! : )

measure out any any fragrance, oils or ground oats, dried herbs etc. so that they are ready at the last minute.

If you have your milk ready add 12 oz of pure lye red devil, or red crown,
    add slowly to the frozen milk stir carefully with a plastic spoon or whisk or stir stick. when all the chunks are disovled. add your lye mixture to the melted fat slowly. with stir stick stir approx 3 mins to light trace add fragrances, and ground oats etc, stir in ... then pour in greased plastic or wooden molds. cover with wax paper, woolen blanket. Leave it alone till tomorrow!
    ( if stiring by hand stir probably 4-7 mins to light trace.)

day 2 uncover the soap, later that day or into day 3 release from molds and cut bars with a sharp knife, or a miter box with a putty type blade.

I make soap all the time and no longer fuss with having the temps right, but if using distilled water instead of frozen goat milk, you'll have to check the temps of the lye mix and the fats they do need to be reasonably close. not 230 and 110 more like 90-105.

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I use lard too, but I add some coconut oil. Gets a much nicer lather.

Ruth

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Actually, please DO forget the vinegar. There's a chemical reaction to vinegar that doesn't slow the burning as so many people/books would suggest. I much prefer to use an oil (which there is plenty of sitting around while I'm soaping) to neutralize the lye burns with.

7. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Sherrie--How long do you let your bars mature--some people told me 6 monts some said only a few weeks?

Please let me know

I didnt know about vinegar--THANKS that is BIG time helpful!

April

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

you may use them right away, they just disolve quicker. with this recipe you need to let them mature for 4 weeks. they will still be perfectly usable years from now, but the fragrance may fade.

Many of my customers buy the soap cut but not wrapped yet as they are too impatient when the find "THE" smell they must have.

9. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I actully wait until I rebatch to add the goat milk. Turns out better for me that way. 12 oz liquid for every pound of shreded soap. good luck and have fun!!! (Its WAY too easy to go overboard on the extras....like oatmeal, and scents, etc....I'm trying a recipe this week that calls for powdered cocoa and coffee!!!! giggle)

Joy