In my post about corn prices and availability

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FarmboyBill, Dec 6, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Sombody mentioned milo. In the last couple years of going up to see my dad iin NE Kansas, from NE Okla where I live i havnt seen a 1/2doz fields of milo if that many. The reason, dad says, is that theres a seed the same size as milo that produces a weed which the name escapes me, is as hard to get rid of as Johnson Grass, , and since being the same size as milo, it cant be seperated from milo seed, the farmers have quit growing it. Another thing, several mentioned the previous history of corn back to 40 yrs, its rise and fall, glut and famine, drought and bumper crops. Well these things have been going on for at least 100 yrs. But never in 100 yrs has there been such a explosive NEW outlet for the corn product. I remember 40 yrs ago when Ethanol was an experiment , and nobody thought it had as much octane as did buck a gal gas outa the hole. Well, were never gonna see buck a gallon gas again outta the hole, and anyways it anymore hasnt got much more octaine than tonic water, and thats at $150 + at times, and so Ethanol is looking more impressive, and tho its just a guess, I think were comeing to the point in time where, if we got to fight country to get it, we can do somthing else. Anyway, as WQindy in Ks said, and (yay for my home state), Kansas is building several plants to produce ethanol, and I will bet my torn overhalls that Neb, Iowa, and Mo are building as many or more, plus many other states. That creates a demand. Its been said a few times, that there is still a product left to be consumed after the actual making of ethanol has occured. Great, but what do you do with wet corn. Dang wet corn. Its got to be dried, and thats got to ber paid for by sombody. I also look for people to turn their pastures into corn fields. sure it takes more gas to raise a field of corn than a field of cows, but the returns are there at $5,6,7 + a bu, and you aint having to fool with them in the winter. I look for farmers to take pasture land that isnt fit, as it currently is, to be anything other than pasture, and farm it. Where I came from, a mile from the MO river, 150 years ago up to around a mile from me was mostly grapes and some orchards. 100 yrs ago, after prohibition in Kansas, it was mostly orchards and some grapes 50 yrsa ago, the orchards was gone, and they terriced everything that needed it and planted it to crops. Ive seen the backs of many terrices that are 20ft+ high. The cost is great to do this, but if farmers with marginal lands see that a future of high corn prices is in the offering, theyll git er done. I also see this benifitting agribusiness and their monocrops. They will become tomorrows hole in the ground.. But we ll see. Perhaps, in the future, The big agribusiness farms will have their own small plants on the farm, and the finished product, ethanol, will be picked up by simis, much like milk is here in Okla

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

You are probably thinking of the weed shattercane. A proper crop rotation program should take care of it.

3. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

There are many weeds in the johnsongrass/sorghum genus including milo. Milo is easy to grow; I have grown small amounts of it. The weed and the milo will cross over time and eventually won't be shattercane or johnsongrass anymore, after enough cross-pollination.