in heat on a sunday, of all days... grrrr

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Dec 3, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I've been waiting forever, and this heat is totally unexpected. The buck who I want to use lives about 2.5 hours away, and I CANT GET AHOLD OF HIS OWNER!!!!!! :flame: :flame: :flame: :grump: :flame:

Not the goat or the breeders fault to be sure, but geez oh geez! Now I'm gonna have to wait to breed her till the 23rd...

Thanks for letting me vent my spleen...

:grump:

2. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Oh, that's totally planned, don't you know? My goats only get REALLY sick on Sundays.l

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

did she just go into heat? you have 36 hours for standing heat. My Destiny has been going into heat for the past few days but just went into standing heat today. Buck is here :)

HOpe that helps you some.

4. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I wish you luck on getting your gal bred. If she like mine you will have to wait for the next season cycle. My gal that came in season a week ago was only in 1 day and back out the next.

Goats can be in season from 12 to 48 hours.

I'm now having to wait for my gal to come back in season again. :)

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

There's a good chance your girl might still be in standing heat tomorrow if she just came in today. Would it be possible to get them together first thing in the morning?

6. sunnygrl

sunnygrl Well-Known Member

here's an official newbie question... how do you tell when a goat is in heat?

7. PygmyLover

her vulva will swell and get pinkish red. she sometimes will get vocal and will wag her tail a lot (called flagging).

Your goat may or may not do one or all of these things. these are the most common signs though.

8. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Whew! well, we did hear from the bucks owner, drove 2 hours, and got her bred. :) We got home at 9- oclock with a rather woozy goat, but shes okay now. Man was it cold! 20 in the day, and single digets at night. Everybody was shivering, even the buck. :)

Thank goodness I dont have to wait to the 23rd, too close to Christmas and the kids would be born way to late for my taste...

9. PygmyLover

I hope she settles for you! Glad you didn't have to wait.

I like having kids born later but this year decided to try for April. First due date is April 21st. Second goat is due first week in May.