In-Ground Trash Can as Root Cellar?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, Apr 18, 2005.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I've heard of people doing this, but it seems as though the lack of any air circulation would cause it to fail. Has anyone got personal experience--yay or nay--with this kind of basic root cellar?

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

They work great amelia, but you are right, they must be properly vented. It's an easy matter using PVC pipe and fittings and some screening to keep critters out. Ideally, they'd be similarly vented out the top as well, to ensure a good flow of air.

I use an old deep chest freezer buried up to the door and vented out near the bottom with PVC that comes up along side the freezer.

I don't know it's necessary, but I also poked holes in the bottom for draining any water that happens to get in there.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I was reading about this this weekend, and lo and behold, there is a post about it!

Do they work in hot climates, does anyone know? Also, what if you can't dig holes, is it possible to insulate them with straw bales or something?

hollym

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

The whole idea of a root cellar in the first place is to take advantage of the earth's fairly constant temperature. In my area and soil type it is about 52 degrees F.

So, straw around something while providing some insulation, will still eventually warm up to ambient air temperature unless you add something cold to it.

But, if your soil is hard to dig in you could do a combination, something like this:

[​IMG]