Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In honor of summer jello time, I posted some tips for making it on the cooking forum. But it got me thinking (or thinkin' as we say here:)), what kind of jello do you like. What are your favorite jello recipes.

My fondest memories of my mom and aunt are that one of them ALWAYS made a red white and blue molded jello for family gatherings. My favorite part was the white part--austrian creme I believe was the name. Sometimes I just make that in champagne glasses and top with fresh blueberries. It's my most favorite and fancy dessert of all!

How about you? (or Ya'll as we say)?

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Oh girl, I can't hardly look at Jello! Roger laughs at me about it. I don't even enjoy going down the aisle in the store that stocks it!

It shivers and moves and gives me with "willies".

And, when I was in Ladies Aid at church, everytime there was a funeral, I was asked to make jello.

I did it as repentence for my sins :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
ROFL Ardie!!!!

Mid Tn Mama,
My mother had those Tupperware jello containers. Remember them? There was the tall ones and shorter ones! Oh the desserts she made! My oldest son does not like Jello so when he is home all summer (we split his time during the school year with his Dad down the road from us) I don't make it much. During the school year when he doesn't eat with us every night we have it. But I am afraid all I do is make it plain and occasionally I make Maggie from Hillbilly Housewife custard with it. Now, I'm off to check your post about it! :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I hate Jello. When I was in the hospital with a kidney stone they only fed me bland apple flavored Jello for a week. That was 18 years ago and I still can't stomach Jello.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Mid Tn Mama said:
My fondest memories of my mom and aunt are that one of them ALWAYS made a red white and blue molded jello for family gatherings. My favorite part was the white part--austrian creme I believe was the name. Sometimes I just make that in champagne glasses and top with fresh blueberries. It's my most favorite and fancy dessert of all!
I still love the red, white and blue Jello that is a family tradition for us, though we just make it in a 13X9" glass dish or similar. Bottom layer: thawed frozen blueberries in lemon jello (fresh won't give it the dark-blue color throughout); sour cream/lemon jello in the middle; fresh or frozen mashed strawberries in strawberry Jello on top. Sooooooooo delicious! :dance:

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's funny you should mention this. I recently placed an illustrated page in a book that went-

You know you are a glutton when...
You wear green for St. Patricks day and look like lime jello!

Well, someone got me hooked on eating jello with a little smidgen of Miracle Whip on the top. It's good!

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
My grandma used to make fishies in the sea with lime Jello and anchovies.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Oggie said:
My grandma used to make fishies in the sea with lime Jello and anchovies.
That is so incredibly gross...but it would actually be cute with Swedish fish, if you did it right. :)

6,637 Posts
I not a huge jellow fan. I dont hate it. It just doesnt do anything for me.

wait...I am kinda huge, but just not a jellow fan...and not actually a fan made from jellow....just to clear up any misunderstandings for all my fellow idiots out there. :p

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now, now...

This thread is entitled "In celebration of"

If you would like to denigrate Jello, start your own thread called, "In denigration of jello..."
-----------------
Hey Gailann--you have been scarce on these boards. I guess jello must be something you feel strongly about.

YES about strawberry pretzel salad. Folks act like you've parted the red sea if you make and bring it to a gathering....
-----------------------
Hoggie: Wow! Guess that's an example of cultural differences. I'll leave it at that. Ha, ha.
--------------
Ladycat: thanks! I'm going to read that
--------------
Anyone know how to make that pistachio flavored jello that had marshmallows, marshmallo creme, and apples and nuts I think. Kind of like a waldorf salad with pistachio flavored (or is it lime) jello?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looking at my post, I see that I denigrated and celebrated jello. I guess I jiggle, like jello to both sides. :D

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I need glasses--that was OGGIE not HOGGIE!!:)

Ok that's not a cultural difference. Hmmm. what is that? no, I mean,"Wow, thanks for celebrating jello!!"

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Mid Tn Mama said:
Now, now...

YES about strawberry pretzel salad. Folks act like you've parted the red sea if you make and bring it to a gathering....

Please share how to make this salad. Sounds pretty good to me.

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here you go.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
4 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 (16 ounce) package frozen strawberries
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Mix together the pretzels, 4 1/2 tablespoons sugar and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or lightly toasted. Set aside to cool completely.
In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl, stir together the gelatin mix and boiling water. Mix in frozen strawberries, and stir until thawed. Pour over cream cheese mixture in pan. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 1 hour.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I love jello in any way, shape or form. Any time I'm sick and nothing else looks or tastes good, I make jello. I have two favorite things to do with it. Apricot jello with applesauce in it and a dessert a friend taught me to make.

Cherry Pecan Jello Salad:

1 large box cherry jello
dissolve in one cup boiling water

stir in a can of cherry pie filling and 1 cup pecan pieces.

chill. when serving top with cool whip.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts