In Addition to Ken's Thread....

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Ronney, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Apart from those who milk commercial herds, what does everybody do with their milk?

I milk because it satisfies two things for me - I love cows and I love milking, it's without a doubt the best time of my day. Practically, the milk feeds my pigs and allows us to drink the "real" thing and you can't beat that thick Jersey cream :) At some stage I would like to get into making dairy products, not to sell because the legalities of doing so in this country make it too expensive, but it must be very satisfying to eat a chunk of homemade cheese.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I milk for house milk, nothing like fresh raw milk, and to feed bottle calves, pigs, and chickens. Like Ronney, I enjoy the cows and the milking time.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We are milking cows for our own use: personal satisfaction, fresh milk, homechurned butter, and the general pleasure of having a few "Old Bossys" about the place.

We sell, or rather trade a wee bit for feed money to 4 other homsteader families who crave heritage foods such as a cow provides, but don't have the time or inclination to keep and milk their own cow.

We also furnish "free" milk to our five children and their families; some 20 souls strong. Our bairns make nigh on to everything one can make from raw milk. (One son-in-law is still learning that one must whip any and all raw eggs added to an ice cream mixture, or they will still look and taste like raw eggs after the ice cream has frozen.)

Herself would like to use our excess milk for feeding pigs or calves for a cash crop. We feed all of our extra milk to our chickens, and some to two calves born a week or so back.

4. Ksar

Ksar Member

To further this a bit more, how many hand milk?
    Since I have only the one in milk currently, I hand milk. I enjoy it even though it is painful at times. I milk to feed my family of 4, plus 5 bottle goat kids 2X day, 5 pigs 2x day, and a array of chickens and any calves. I make my own butter and ghee for cooking from the cream. I also give a couple of gallons a week away to needy families in my neighborhood. Today I have a batch of cottage cheese to make, oh its gonna be good.

Kathy

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

We drank the milk, made butter and ice cream, and lots of milk-based dishes (puddings, cream pies and soups). Gave milk to the pig, cats and dogs, and I don't think anyone who visited last year left without taking a gallon with them! :haha:

We had an outdoor wedding here for my husband's oldest son in June, and served homemade ice cream along with the wedding cake. (I remember having to sprint into the house right after the ceremony to ice down the can and start it cranking! Luckily it was an electric ice cream maker or I'd probably still be churning it, lol!)

BTW, Haggis, all the recipes I've seen that call for using eggs in ice cream call for cooking it first on the stove ... you basically make a thin pudding, cool it overnight then freeze it down.

Here is the recipe I used for the wedding ... I believe someone over on the cooking forum shared it with me but I can't remember who! (oops)

"THE BEST" Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

8 cups milk, divided
    6 eggs, separated
    3 cups sugar, divided
    3 tbs cornstarch
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups whipping cream

In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups milk to a boil over med. heat.
    Remove from the heat and set aside.
    In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks; add remaining milk and mix well.
    Combine 2 cups sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Add to hot milk and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour into a clean mixing bowl and set aside.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into warm milk mixture. Beat in vanilla and cream until well mixed. Refrigerate at least 5 hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to directions. Yields: 3 1/2 quarts.

6. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I hand milk a Dexter, next year will be 2. I make cheese and butter, the whey I freeze for when the pigs get here. I've also made Dexter Milk Soap, turned out pretty good. I just do the Dairy products for the family. Any extra milk goes to pigs chickens dogs and cats.

Carol K