In a poll, 50% of the people respondng said they would pay $1000 for a years worth of emergencyfood

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by Terri, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I regret I cannot give you a link that would show up, but, the SUPRISING things was that 10% said they already had an emergency stash, though I am pretty sure it is not a year's worth!

The reason I cannot post a link if because it is through Swagbucks, and I take surveys there. They also have what they call the "Daily poll", which gives me a penny for answering one question. Today's question looked to be an excuse for Costco to point out that they are now selling a year's worth of freeze-dried food for $1000, but I thought the response that 50% of the people would buy survival food if it was easy and they had the money to be very interesting!

For those who have not checked out survival freeze dried food, I should point out that these kits usually give you only 1000 calories a day)

Oregon1986 and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

So, it would cost a family of four $4000. I am surprised at how high the response level was at that kind of cost.

Forcast and MoBookworm1957 like this.

3. Cabin Fever

At 1000 calories/day, Costco could advertise it as both a survival plan and a weight-loss plan.

dmm1976, CaelAidan, mnn2501 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I find it hard to believe you can buy enough food for $2.74 per day.

MoBookworm1957 and RichNC like this.
  5. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Those offers for a "Year's worth" are praying on your fear, need to have the warm and fuzzies feelings....and would be considered by many as "supplement" not a main diet.
    Is a great back up....for a while anyway...everyone should consider a couple on months worth.

That said
    Calories really don't matter....nothing says you can only "have 1000 calories a day...that is a poor example....unless that all you are planning eating or some one stops you.

Those that eat a couple days worth.....campers, hikers, and various outdoor activities...will tell you that you will get tired of them, quick....as well as those that have lived on MRE's
    I don't think I could stand a YEAR'S worth.....

We do stock a couple of buckets as shelf life is long...couple of months maybe....for that "warm and fuzzy feeling, Just in case" backup.

Even counting on the "if you are hungry you will eat it"...kinda come down to how long do you figure you are gonna last anyway.
    Most SHTF scenario involve 24, 48, 72, week...there are exception of course...like Puerto Rico right now.
    For most all of us, if that Years worth of 1000 calories are used up....we are in deep doo doo if we haven't made other arrangements for growing, forging, hunting or just stocking up.

Besides....I would be out of meds in three months or less...depending on where in the med cycle the for mention SHTF happens.

$1000 bucks....is about 3 months worth ...for use.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  6. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

$1000 for a years supply? Heck, why bother shopping, just load up now and be done with the grocery store until October 2018!

Eh, I'll pass. Why?
    Because emergency food is not "food". Because it is doubtful to last a year. Because I don't know how it was prepared/treated.
    In that same poll I wonder how many of the 50% have the facilities, experience and gumption to store/cook/survive on bucket chow.

MoBookworm1957, RichNC and hunter63 like this.
  7. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

I can't do it for that price, but that's not an issue for me.

Bullets, traps, fish hooks, seed, canning jars, vaccum bags, etc is where I spend.

I do keep a good supply of salt. I do use salt. I just don't use salt at the quantities that the "packaged" entities do. Be aware that if you store that sodium laden stuff, you'll need water, and more water.

Got fuel?

TripleD, MoBookworm1957 and GTX63 like this.
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Wood: Keep 15 cords cut/split/in-the-dry. Will use 4-6 this winter, but will have shed re-filled by spring.

Propane: 3-500gal tanks @ 80% = 1200gal + 12--100lb tanks (another 275gal) + dozen or so 20lb tanks. Use about 3-400 yr for cooking, water heating, etc.

Motor fuel. 300gal gas (when full) tank on stand + 250gal diesel. Another 10 55gal drums of diesel and 5 of gasoline + 2 kerosene. Building a generator shed for 8kw diesel back up generator (to 11kw solar setup), and have 2--500gal tanks to be dedicated to generator. Genset uses .94gal/hr full load.

krackin and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  9. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

I sure wouldn't spend $1000 on that disgusting crap. Rather put up my own food thank you very much, might not be a years worth but at least it's edible.

Definitely my goal is to have a year's supply, but I'm not going out to buy it when I can make it myself with a pressure canner and some mason jars.

10. Lowe.Buuck

Lowe.Buuck New Member

Depending upon what you are doing, 1000 cal per day is very doable. Multiple times I have done 3 weeks on a strict 300 cal/day without modifying my activity.

That being said, I have a 6 month supply (3 months for me and wife) of freeze dried in addition to our other food storage. It may not be the most nutritious, but its light weight, long term storage potential and minimal preparation requirements have great value in an emergency situation.

Many of these meals can be combined with rice/beans/grains to add additional calories.

I also keep enough empty jars on hand to can most of what is in the freezer. If we were in a situation like PR, running a generator for an extended period Spring thru Fall to keep food frozen is not sustainable for me.

dmm1976 likes this.
  11. catsboy

catsboy Member

My wife and I have 5 years worth of the freeze dried foods and yes they lack a lot in the flavor category. I see them as supplements for what we can grow, hunt or trap. I grow a lot of herbs than dehydrate them. You would be surprised how much flavor you can add to the freeze dried stuff with some of your own home grown herbs.

12. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

About 2 months back i again went searching for decent storage food programs to become a retailer of because many of my friends and mining clients also use back packing foods for camping and day trips to their mining claims. I personally have tried seeral brands, a couple have changed since i first tried them, or added to their lineup, but what intrigued me was calorie count, servings per package and package size. What i found was less than spectacular. Over the years, serving size has remained about the same, calorie count though has dwindled in many flavors [not sure whats up with that] and package size has went from single servings to 2 or 4, with a few weighing in at 5 per package, and this is fairly equal across the spectrum of suppliers/manufacturers.....

The problem i encounter is that heavy activity such as backpacking into a claim and of course then mining, is we tend to burn many more calories than folks who are just packing in for the beauty, or sitting around after a disaster when they had to break into the "stash" of food storage. Most double serving packs like Mountain house or Alpine Aire and Backpackers pantry, give just under 600 calories for the 2 servings total, not bad if you read that before packing it in for 2 people digging in the rocks [miners never grew up, we still play in the dirt and rocks looking for shiny objects and perty stones] Some of the other companies packaging are the 4-5 servings for similar calorie counts, or half for about the same price point [remember I was looking at this objectively for best customer choices and value not to tear apart the industry as a whole] Then we get into flavors and choices and it really gets wild, some of the higher caloried items have reviews that stink and this is across the board every company, and of course some have great reviews, personally I have my favorites and not all of them are from one company for better tasting.
    I still am not a retailer after doing the research, mostly because i cant feel honest about peddling a product that on the outside looks like it will do more than what is really on the inside, its not false advertising because they print it on the packaging as to what you should expect from the contents in calorie count and servings, but i as a retailer want satisfied repeat customers..... meaning the products have to do more than allow for starving slowly......
    I also found its fairly standard across the industry for these to be a higher sodium content, which isnt always bad for active folks drinking more water and sweating.

And then some of the "years supply" which advertise number of servings as an indicator for some folks who use a calculator and see indeed there are 365 days of servings..... utilize a drink powder for a serving to get up there to a higher count, and also include that in their overall calorie count, which sugar provides calories, but wears off way to fast for any active person and provokes more hunger in many folks. It is a vicious cycle of being bombarded with incomplete or misleading often exaggerated data, playing on the emotions of the ill prepared [not someone who is doing the research like they should]. many of these storage foods claim "X" years of storage and they haven't been in business even a decade let alone 25-30 years like some in the industry have [red flag] Some use TVP and "flavors" in their entrees, and yet others are mainly just a soup mix [yes i like a good soup, but not every meal]

So yeah, the retailers play on emotional purchasing, the consumer gets a false sense of security, and I have to wonder if the manufacture somehow hopes no one will have to use their products in a real emergency, because if folks were to rotate it into their diets [which they should] i reckon a few lawsuits might be filed.

I would love to be able to tell folks any or all of these are the products they should have on hand or use in the activities I went looking on behalf of, but in good conscious I can not at this time [still researching], some are better than others. Caveat Emptor.

William
    Idaho

hunter63 likes this.
  13. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm I think, therefore I eat. Supporter

What? I could live for a year on only $1000 of food? I spend about 3x that much on food just for myself. Whew.

Blu3duk likes this.
  14. Cabin Fever

Let's see. Jack's Frozen Supreme pizzas go on sale for 4/$10. That's $2.50 per day or $912.50 per year. Yeah, I could do it.

Blu3duk likes this.
  15. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

Fulltime RVer looking for a Tennessee homestead
    I wouldn't do it. If I were really wanting to build a year's supply of food, I'd be buying and preserving the food that I eat, or I'd be producing it myself via a garden or chickens or whatever I could grow, raise, catch or hunt. Spending $1k for some packaged stuff I could probably not even identify without a label on it... um, no.

Kinda a variation of whether I'd buy one of those packages of emergency seeds. No. I'd buy seeds, yes, but it would be seeds that had some meaning to me, things that I know I would eat, varieties that I was familiar with that I knew would grow in the area I was in.

The smart thing would be to do it all yourself BEFORE an emergency were ever an issue. Imagine that...

16. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Dont git me started on those survival garden seed packages.... seed count in them is high, looked at one for $400 that claimed to plant over an acre ...... 2/3 of it was lettuce seed.... and anyone with half a brain could purchase twice the seed for less than the "seed vaults" and get fresh seed from the folk who grow and save it in the varieties they know will grow, and what they and their families will eat and thrive on..... ok i got started.... and i will slide off the soapbox for now...... before i slip

William
    Idaho

SRSLADE and Bellyman like this.
  17. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

To make matters worse, many of those "survival seeds", like bell peppers, only survive for a couple of years and then they are dead.

18. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Yeah, I've looked at the "years supply" but it has little in it that I'd like to eat and nowhere near enough calories in a SHTF scenario. Of course Garden and Pantry would supplement it and I have enough Rice and Beans (along with other things) to bring the calorie cont up.

Now as a weight loss program that may be viable. I might even try that for a week and see what happens.

19. siberian

siberian Well-Known Member

polls are aesy to read on the high side. I can say say what I would pay (if able to), or what is a fair value, but who actually spends the money is a different subject.

20. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this myself. I'm much more apt to freeze than can. But if it's not possible to keep the freezer running is it ok to then can the thawed veg? And will it last as long as canning fresh veggies?