Improving garden soil after the test

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cheryl in SD, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We got a test kit today and tested the soil (first time EVER) in the new garden area. Ph is about 7, but nitrogen, phosphorous and potash are all 'very low'. What would you all suggest to get them up higher?

Will aged cow/horse manure do it? If so I know someone who has a lot I could get.

TIA,
    Cheryl in SD

2. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

That aged manure would be perfect. Add a LOT, if you can. If it is truly well-aged, you can pretty much plant in almost 100% manure, to give you an idea of how much you can/should add to your soil. You will need to keep adding organic material to the soil to keep the levels good, though - yearly applications will maintain nice soil. Additionally, you can mulch with chopped leaves or hay, which will help your plants this summer by maintaining moisture in the soil and suppressing weeds, and at the end of the season, just till it under to add to the soil for next year.

Diana

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Thanks Diane,

DH and I hauled in three pickup loads today and covered the garden with a layer about 2 inches deep. This is all at LEAST 3 yo manure, some of it may be older than that. Tomorrow we are going to till it in after church. I can't plant for another couple of weeks (we are having a snow storm as I speak, not enough to pile up, or even give us moisture, just enough to make shoveling 3 loads of manure uncomfortable.)

Thanks for the information.

Cheryl in SD

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

There are a number of organic products you can use to boost NPK.
    Manure is always good, especially for adding nitrogen. Steamed bone meal is a good source for phosphorus. Wood ashes a good source for potash.

Here is another thread that may be of interest and contains some links to charts.
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?p=773933#post773933