Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone used Improvest instead of castration. Soon i will be castrating all
my piglets. Just wondering if a shot of Improvest really works. It is suppose to
be an alternative to castration.

Thanks for any help and information on this.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. some news on Improvest.

http://www.improvac.com/sites/improvac/en-NZ/Pages/technicalinformation.aspx

From the information i have looked at i may not use Improvest. It may cost to much to use. It has to be given in shots two times before butchering.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well was it tainted? Most of the time it isn't.
Hi Ed. The boar i butchered tasted ok to me. I couldn't detect any taint. However some people may taste the taint if any is there. For some reason
women can taste boar taint more often than men.
I plan on doing so more research on Improvest before trying it out.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Improvest will not be available to the general public. The application system will be controlled by trained teams of technicians. I've attended several meetings regarding Improvest, but I can't say much more than that at this point.

Jim
Thanks for your reply Jim.
I plan on talking to a few vets about this product. Do you know of any large producers using it. According to one web site it is available in 60 different countries.
It is sold under the name Improvac in other countries. Here in the U.S. you need a
prescription from veterinarian to get it. It has been in use for 10 years in some countries.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hi Ed. The boar i butchered tasted ok to me. I couldn't detect any taint. However some people may taste the taint if any is there. For some reason
women can taste boar taint more often than men.
I plan on doing so more research on Improvest before trying it out.
We're lucky we've never had a bit of taint in any boar we butchered, including the old breeders. That includes people who have bought boars from us for eating, too.

Is this an injection? The thought of it makes me a bit queasy. Say a little abcess forms at the injection site, preventing complete take-up, months later he is butchered, then I make a nice pot of beans with neck bones. And I lose my manhood. Arrgghh.

An old Animal Science prof I had was telling us about chemical castration, burdizzos, banding, etc. He said when he tosses the nuts in the bucket, then he is sure that critter is castrated. Everything else is a hope and a guess.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're lucky we've never had a bit of taint in any boar we butchered, including the old breeders. That includes people who have bought boars from us for eating, too.

Is this an injection? The thought of it makes me a bit queasy. Say a little abcess forms at the injection site, preventing complete take-up, months later he is butchered, then I make a nice pot of beans with neck bones. And I lose my manhood. Arrgghh.

An old Animal Science prof I had was telling us about chemical castration, burdizzos, banding, etc. He said when he tosses the nuts in the bucket, then he is sure that critter is castrated. Everything else is a hope and a guess.
Yes it is an injection. It does not have any affect on people when the pork is butchered. So says the FDA.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Had a bit of a giggle at some of the posts:grin:

Improvest isn't something I would even look at let alone use - but then I don't castrate either. And I'm a woman and no boar taint in our pigs as far as I'm concerned or anybody else for that matter.

Cheers,
Ronnie

·
Registered
7 Posts
As @highlands said - it does work... and if you get a needle stick and are a guy... you may see first hand. The risk to the injector appears to be one needle stick - you may recover from it as a temporary event... two - your immune system was already primed by the initial injection and now your reaction is significant and long enough - you may very well be "done", so to speak.
It's not a "poison" - it's an immunization that makes the boars immune system capture and destroy some of the hormones produced by the testes (specifically androstenone and skatole). It basically creates a mini-autoimmune response for a period of time post injection.
As for the risk in eating meat that was from a boar "castrated" in this manner - there isn't any (and not because the FDA says so, but because of how immunology works). The immunological method and action of this approach isn't going to work (remain viable) via the oral route. Full stop. That's one of the great things about having stomach acid as an omnivore :)
I think it's funny how many of the European countries that outlaw "physical castration" do allow this form of "chemical castration"... but it should really be called "immunological castration" in the end, I suppose.
We go back and forth on what we will do with our piglets this spring... castration is certainly "easier" in terms of just being able to let them all hang out with each other on pasture before heading to the butcher... we then think maybe we will leave one intact and test the meat that way... but gee - for a small operation, that's a mighty expensive "test"... this is certainly a tough (and personal) decision. Nice to know other folks are struggling with it too! (well, not nice, but refreshing)

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a bit of a giggle at some of the posts:grin:

Improvest isn't something I would even look at let alone use - but then I don't castrate either. And I'm a woman and no boar taint in our pigs as far as I'm concerned or anybody else for that matter.

Cheers,
Ronnie
Glad you had a few giggles from the replies Ronnie. So did i.
Most of the studies done with this product has been conducted by the company that sell it. Seems it has been used in your country for 10 Plus years.
I think it cost to much and to much trouble to use it so i will just leave this one alone.

Best to you,
Gerold.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The commercial piggeries have been using it for some time but it would be almost impossible for the backyard pig owner to obtain it even if they wanted to.

I'm not a greenie, tree hugger or anything like that but my mantra on growing our own food is to poke as little unneccessary stuff into them as possible unless it is for the wellbeing of the animal.

Personally, I think you've made a wise choice in opting to by-pass it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.