Impact Wrench Use

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Cabin Fever, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I think I intuitively know the answer to my question, but I thought that I’d ask you experts anyways. Can I use a standard socket knuckle with my impact wrench? What about a 6” or 10” extension?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You cannot use the standard U joint in an impact as it will destroy the device. Even the joints made for impacts do not hold up under the torture. The extension will hold up better, however the conventional ones designed for manual use will fail with impact use. Same for the 6 point sockets. 12 points conventional sockets will die promptly. I was at one time employed by one of the major brand manufacturers of such devices.

3. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

If you have a harbor freignt near you, they usually have some inexpensive impact socket assortments. They're not the best stuff but they do stand up to my IR 2135ti impact.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

NAPA has the swivel knuckle joint you need for an impact wrench. Napa's are everywhere in MN aren't they? :) I wouldn't try a chrome knuckle, it would blow apart real quick. You can't get a whole lot of angle with an impact anyhow.

The chrome extentions won't last real long, but you can use them if you have several. Depends upon your needs, many or heavy loads, or just light stuff. The black extentions will last longer.

I got my electric impact when I moved 2 bins off the neighbor property, had to take off 2 rings of sheets. Myself & 4 friends who didn't know much went at it. Another fellow & his son showed up that day to move his bin (he bought the rusty one...). They fooled around a bit with wrenches & hammer & ladders & an angle grinder. Heard some strange language now & then.... And saw blue smoke. No - real blue smoke, from the angle grinder....

After a while they watched us for 5 minutes. Father says to his son: "Help them. Anything they want you to do. Learn what they are doing. I'll be back in 1/2 hour."

He came back with the same impact I had.

Was a pretty cool day, enjoyed learning how to operate my impact gun with a garin bin dangling on 3 bin jacks. :) As if we could teach anyone anything in that time was cool.

--->Paul

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

standard extensions will work for occasional use, but they do have a lot of torsional give wich softens the usefullness of the impact, and the impact can break the square drive off the end. Standard knuckles will work if you dont need a lot of tourque, and dont keep the inpact wrench powered very long, but it is very very hard on them. When knuckles come apart under load they usually send pieces of steel flying with a lot of speed. I dont use non impact knuckles on inpact wrenches. I did once, and I got a cut on my face when it blew up.

Cabin,
    Like most tools , they will work for purposes other than what they were intended for, but they usually dont last long, and they can be dangerous when they fail.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

You can use them but with obvious consequences. The problem with hand driven sockets and attachments besides breaking and creating shrapenal is also they can and will damage your impact gun over time. the sockets and estensions are hardened. As you use them they will damage the square drive on the end of the impact gun over time.

7. BD

BD Active Member

Unfortunately TOOLS are only as smart as the USERS !!!! sometimes real scary and dangerous !!!!!