Immersion Blenders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My wife wants an immersion blender for soups and sauces. She got a B&D Gizmo for Christmas but it seems pretty anemic, maybe good for stirring chocolate milk. Anyone have one they think is a good one? If so what make and model? I'm thinking to get a useable one it will be a plug in instead of a cordless.

2. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Ive had one of those, I loved it till it died. I don't replace gadgets unless its an everyday use thing. I havent had a toaster in about 4 yrs. Mike liked the blender for his chocolate shakes, and since we dont drink it got used mainly for treats and sauces/gravy etc.

3. newengland

newengland Active Member

I received a Betty Crocker hand mixer about 9 years ago. I never wanted one, or asked for one, but was given it as a gift. I use it more than any other electrical item in the kitchen (not including the refridgerator). [BTW, I do not have a toaster either. Someone on this forum mentioned just frying bread in a dry pan to toast it--that's what I do now to].

THe hand mixer is great for: whipping, mixing, blending, etc; and was used daily for fresh homemade baby food, when I had babies. Many recipes are also available online for making soap using a hand mixer, as it greatly speeds up the tracing time.

I could not find my mixer in a search, but I did find one by Bosch:

http://osnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4182562

4. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

get a braun works great $25.00

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, my idea of an immersion blender is a whisk or a fork. I hate energizing something that doesn't need to be. Soups and sauces can be made do with a whisk and a food processor if you already have one (or a standard blender). If you don't have either one of those, then I can understand the desire for the immersion blender. Otherwise, why bother?

6. deedler

deedler Well-Known Member

Your wife must be a good cook who's in a hurry! I've been looking for an immersion blender for a while now and happened upon Amazon.com. Yeah, I know they've been around a long time, but I never thought of it.
    Go there and do a search for I.B.'s (shorthand). you might be amazed just how many are out there and very reasonably priced. I ordered one and got it in 5 days. Amazon definitely gets my business first after that.

Dee

7. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I've had mine since they first came out... how long has it been? At least 10 years, remember pre '95 but not sure how long before that. I really like it! It is very handy.

Braun. No model number. It says:

Type: 4-172-B

I looked at Braun's site for you, nothing but newer models. Here is same blender I have that someone listed on eBay. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20668&item=4346884086&rd=1