Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our milk goat has been acting quite for a couple of days, today she is down completely. Runny diarrhea, pale rectum area, tried to eat and had foamy mouth. I took her temp and she is 98.7 :Bawling: . I am getting ready to run some DI-Methox in her, and some Electrolytes. Should I give her B-1 also? She is also scheduled today for her wormer or Cydectin, would it be a bad idea with her being in such bad shape to load her with all of this right now. I am afraid she is going to pass away soon if we don't get it right. :Bawling:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Vit. B complex is always a good idea - helps with lots of different prob.

How about some soda? (gotten anything she shouldn't have?)

That low temp has me worried (maybe pnuemnia?)

Will she eat at all? Still chewing her cud? Any noises?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Is she bloated? Does she have soda availible? Was she exposed to fresh pasture or a change in food recently?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She has no drainage from the nose, no cough. We are thinking maybe a worm overload. Went to the vet for some more electrolytes and probios paste. She hasn't changed food lately, but it has been horribly hot and dry and she is nursing twins presently. When I was out there a few minutes ago she burped a couple of times so I don't think she is bloated. I am going to go give her some B-1 in a few minutes. We went ahead with the Cydectin. Vet thought that was a good idea to do. I'm going to check her temp again around 1 and see what we have. She only nibbled at a few alfalfa pellets earlier which normally that is a real treat for her, she at about 3 and put her head back down. :Bawling:

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
I would think that foamy mouth would mean bloat. Is her left side tight when you pat it?

If it seems extra tight I would give her some corn oil. That will help break up the foam so she can burp it out easier.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took her out some baking soda a minute ago and she nibbled at it so that will help if she is bloated. She drank 1/2 gallon of electrolyte solution, but I had to hold the bucket by her head, she won't stand up. Thanks to you all for the answers, I'm hoping that a combination of all the suggestions will be the answer. I'm afraid she would have died very soon if we hadn't started something on her. She went from acting a little quiet, to completely down over night.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
If it is bloat
You need to get some Mineral oil down her as soon as possible
Also if you can get her up on her feet try to walk her abit after the mineral oil if you dont have mineral oil use a veg oil alos keep baking soda out at all times for the goats.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Her temp is up to 99.6, just gave her the B complex shot and she is showing interest in her baking soda. I will keep a close eye on her the next few hours and watch for more changes. Right now they are encouraging changes. :)

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Her temp is at 102.3, I can get her to drink if I hold the bucket, and she will nibble at baking soda. I gave her milk of mag, and she is begining to talk a little since then. She is still down however, refuses to walk or can't not sure which. I am going back out now to massage her belly more. She belches frequently when I am doing this and seems to give her some comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I've got you and your baby in my thoughts... Hope all goes well. Let us know how your making out. wish I was closer, atleast I could give you a break and rub her belly for a while for you.

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
Glad to hear she's doing better. Keep working with her.

It sounds to me like she's bloated. Once you get her up it might help to walk her.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Temp is back down to 99.8, very lethargic acting. Can't post much, we have given her some probios paste and more MOM. I am heading back out to give her another b shot.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are going to call it a night for a few hours and try and get some sleep. We moved her to a warmer shed and she has a blanket. Her temp seems to be dropping as the outside temp does so she will need something through the night. She got another b shot, hopefully we will see some improvement in the morning. She did urinate which was encouraging. Good night to all.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Her temp is down to 98.6, and I am at a loss. I gave her a shot of B at around 1 last night, when would you all suggest another dose? She hasn't had a bowel movement since yesterday mornings diarrhea, but she has been off of her feed now for a couple days. I am going to give her some Nutri-cal, and electrolytes in a little bit and see if that helps at all. I was hoping for alot of improvement this morning.

·
Premium Member
15,785 Posts
Sorry to hear that she isn't well.

I remember reading about an illness that had a too low temperature but can't think of what it was.

Here's a couple of goat sites that might be worth checking.

Excess B vitamins are eliminated in urine so they are fairly safe. I would make sure she stays hydrated. Have you pinched her neck skin to see if it stays "tented"? If it does she needs more fluid.

http://www.jackmauldin.com/diseases.htm

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm#diseases

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went in and did some searching and found that tums with Calcium can help with milk fever. That is our only option right now due to it being sunday and we will have to wait until tomorrow to see if she can get an injectable dose. She has been about the same all day, but right now we are trying to get the bloat under control. We have tried everything and the only thing that has worked is a mixture of crushed tums, MOM and 2 cups vegetable oil. She had a bm after having it with alot of tummy massaging. She is burping up a foul smelling gas now and we are going to head back out after lunch to work on her some more. She is still unable to walk more than just a few steps at a time or stand for more than about a minute, but I doubled her up on her B to try and give her a boost. Thanks for all the input, we are doing all we can for her.

·
Twin-Reflection Nubians
1,014 Posts
If I were you I would get some banamine in her. Along with excenel. She obviously is having some infection. It won't hurt to give it to her. You can also get MFO solution through Jeffers.com (use that to help with any milk fever problems). You can also get ammino acid solution which can help with ketosis (close symptoms to milk fever). *It really does not sound like milk fever to me. It sounds like an abdominal bacterial or viral infection.

**A similar bacterial infection ran through the barn at Nationals last year and about ever breeder I know (including me) had to deal with it in some form or another.**

If she were MY goat. I would:

Dose her with electrolytes 4 times a day and make sure she is drinking plenty of fresh clean water. (You may have to drench her with this.) She needs the water to help the electrolytes work at their best. You can never drench them with too much water. Just make sure she dosen't choke on it.

I would also get her a shot of C&D antitoxin ASAP.

Leave out the baking soda within her reach.

Get some banamine and excenel in her to ward off and get rid of infection. The banamine will help her feel lots better. I would do banamine once a day for 3 days and that's it. More will do damage. It's 1 cc per 100 lb.
the excenel I would use for 4-5 days. Excenel is 1 cc per 25 lb.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts