Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Shep had a lump on his cheek. It's between the size of a very large grape but not as big as a golf ball. It's hard and is on the outside and inside of his mouth. His teeth look fine...but I'm afraid it's some kind of abcess since it came on quickly. He is acting fine, eating, drinking, pooping....happy.
Ugh! He is too old to be put under to have it lanced and I just went through the whole fiasco of him not coming out of sedative very well last month. I'm just bummed :(

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
When I worked as a vet tech, we used nothing but isoflurane inhalent for the fragile/ old dogs and cats. They awake from the gas easily and it seems quite safe, considering.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I worked as a vet tech, we used nothing but isoflurane inhalent for the fragile/ old dogs and cats. They awake from the gas easily and it seems quite safe, considering.
I work at a Vet...not sure the name of the gas we use. He had a lump removed last month and we just used sedative and local...he was zonked out and didn't snap out of it until 10pm that night...I felt so guilty for messing with it. I'll see what the Doc says on Monday...Why do these things happen on Fridays darn it!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Poor Shep! Try antibiotics first, sometimes that will take care of an infection/abcess and you won't need any sort of sedation. Definitely worth a try!

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Maybe it's an infected cyst, like my pug had awhile back that I was so stressed about. An antibiotic took care of it and it is gone now. Hope it's an easy fix for your Shep too.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe it's an infected cyst, like my pug had awhile back that I was so stressed about. An antibiotic took care of it and it is gone now. Hope it's an easy fix for your Shep too.
I remember that! oh I hope it's the same thing....thank you!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the lump seems to have gotten a tiny bit smaller...I think. I'm taking to work with me tomorrow (I work with a vet).

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'll keep you and your boy in prayer. What a good mommy you are to all your babies. Tell Shep it's a "take your old man to work with you " day today. Give him a hug, kiss, and treat from me.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hubby brought Shep in to the Vet today so it was "take BOTH your old men to work today" LOL!!!!
Well, the lump has gotten smaller. Doc says he doesn't think it's tooth related. It may be a cyst or he bumbed it or a spider bite. SO, he gave him an injection of antibiotic and an anti-inflamitory. Also I have 2 weeks of oral antibiotics to give him. I feel better already :) and Shep was happy to come home with me and share a peanut butter & honey sandwich in the car.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
So glad it doesn't seem to be so serious in nature. Give him a hug and kiss from Maryland. I've been stalking this forum today for an update!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Minelson ~ Yay for Shep! Peanut butter and honey? Sounds like one loved friend. Of course! :) Please keep us posted on how the boy is doing. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts