im thinking on

Discussion in 'Goats' started by myheaven, Jun 24, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

Fullsized goats or almost full sized. But yet my mind is yet to change. I want something my great pyr can be next to and not step on and not kill :nono: :Bawling:. I have just started to look and may change my mind 400 times.

Q: how much barn space should a goat have for sleeping? For now I have a 10x 14 "barn" they will stay in till i get another one built or myold garage moved to the back.

2. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

I overwintered my ruminants in a 10x14 area under my barn. I had a ram (Jacob sheep), a wether (shetland sheep), three ewes (Jacobs), a heifer (Dexter, small), and a goat (saanen-oberhasli cross). They all did fine. My low was somewhere around -10°. I left a good pack of manure/waste hay (heavy on the hay) which provided some heat by decomposing. The space is stone on two sides, sheltered by piles of snow fence on the third side, and mostly open (east) on the fourth side.

A friend of mine overwintered five goats in an 8x8 stock pannel hoop shelter covered with a tarp but open on two ends, in a wooded low-wind area.

Dan

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd put more than 4 or 5 goats in an area that size. I'm basing my opinion on the recomended size of a single goat pen of 3' x 10' so I may be off on my figuring. There are lots of variables, such as, do you plan to feed and water them inside? will there be a hay bunk in there? How often you plan to muck it out, etc.

4. tiergarten-CO

tiergarten-CO Well-Known Member

I have 20 goats that choose to live in one stall that is 12x12 when there is two more they can also use.

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well it kinda depends on the area you live. How much protection and how long they have to stay in the barn. I live in TX mild climate so mine only have shelters scattered around so everyone if needed can get out of the rain other wize they need shade. I raise mostly Mini LaMancha's but do have the large breed dairy goats also. Much prefer the mini's as are easier for one person to handle if they ever get sick.

6. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

My shelters are each 12X15 and have a bench 2 feet off the floor on 3 sides. They also have a side roof on one side of building that sticks out 5 feet from the wall and runs the length of wall wich is 15 feet. Under this is where I will feed and water them.
    I currently have 3 Sanaans, and 4 sanaan/boer cross does. I am planning on getting two more. But those two may be nubians or toggenburgs, not sure yet. The other lot has a boer buck, and 2 boer wethers.
    Besides these two main shelters each lot also has a lean to In the wooded sections of their lots.

BP

7. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

I want something my great pyr can be next to and not step on and not kill

our Pyrs are very careful with everything on the farm, from ducklings to llamas. Here's Gus with one of the doelings - hours after she was born! Was mama okay with him being there? You bet! It was a relief to her - she was first timer with twins. Gus is a trusted "relative".

[​IMG]