Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure what i did if anything but i peeled.cored and chopped apples for 6 hours,,i have a bright idea to cook the 18 quarts of apples in my nester(sp?) cooker and i noticed black chips in there thought maybe i burnt it ,,it never went over 225 degree's,,yup the paint or what ever is on bubbled and broke off in my applesauce,so all that work i did is now going into the trash. i only used this twice now,,was it not meant for cooking a lot of foods in it or acid foods?

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Oh how heartbreaking! I'd be pretty upset too. I can only guess it was made from inferior materials (possibly from China?).

I have my ex-MIL's Nesco roaster, made in the 50s I think, and it is way, way better made than the new ones. I thought about getting another one for holiday cooking, but after looking at them and comparing the differences I was afraid I might have problems with it.

I don't think it's anything you did wrong. I make applesauce in mine all the time, as well as simmer tomatoes down to sauce, which is an all-day thing. I'd certainly think tomatoes would be more acidic than apples. So sorry, no advice, but you certainly have my sympathy.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Oh, how frustrating! I had a bad experience with a batch of tomato preserves. I did something wrong and they came out waaaay too runny. Really a kick in the gut to feel like all that work is wasted.

I would try to get a refund or a replacement unit, too.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just a little update,,,after i dumped all the sauce in a bucket to freeze (for the deer),i took a closer look yeap it was burnt in a small area,,,plus i so tired it looked like a bubble,,i am such a knothead

·
Registered
665 Posts
We threw away out Nesco roaster. It heated unevenly and burned a couple turkeys before I said ENOUGH!
That is so sad.
I have 2 Nescos, the giant one in which I do turkeys and hams all year round, and the next smaller one that I also use constantly. Big one is from 2005; smaller one maybe same year maybe older. NEVER had any problems and unlike yours, mine cook very evenly. (No I don't work for them but love my Nesco's!)

I use mine tons in summer to avoid heating up the whole place with ovens on and then triggering A/C to go on.

But to the OP, I have had burnt on food that I thought I got off leave those tiny little black specks too. New Food is ok with it as long as you have cooked it long enough. Unsightly but I just use for us.

A Chef at Carnivalle restaurant in Chicago shared with us at an event that the way large pans are cleaned in many places is to soak overnight in huge coolers with 4-5 softener sheets (no scent) and Dawn detergent and super HOT water. So I tried it with the burnt on black stuff (food not chips) and it worked TOTALLY! Now my two insert pans are like new.

Other trick I have found is to use a glass pan inside the NESCO so that it is easy to clean and I don't have to wrangle with the giant black insert.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
If you only used it twice I'd be on the phone with their customer service asking for my money back!
Yes contact them,I had one with the black coating.It peeled off after 2 uses.They sent me a blue speckled enamel one to replace it.I have used it for years with no problems.I think I did have to mail the original back to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts