Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:)

REALLY.

We saved for months until we could afford the $$$ expensive test the insurance wouldnt cover. Then we prayed that something definite would show up. Something we could treat. Something that would make our son feel better after treatment. He has been sick for a year. Literally wheel chair sick. Cant walk fatigue. Nausea, and horrible stomach pain every day.

Found out he has Lyme Disease.

Found out he has Celiac Disease.

STILL horrible pain, not getting better....

...did this last test and the lab called the doc even before they were through running the whole panel of tests. Said "URGENT - this child has a severe infestation of giardia. We're calling you now so you can get right on it, and will fax the rest of the results as they become available."

Praise the Lord! I know some of you were praying for our son, and I thank you!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Praying for the young lad to walk and talk with vigor once again. What a horrible thing for a child to go through!

Prayers!

Pat

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,647 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all!

Hey, whaddya know! Beaver fever IS the same as giardia! (I looked it up, never had heard of it before.)

A strong antibiotic oughta clear it up. Typically, he cant handle antibiotics because he gets SO nauseous, headachey, pain, and more. The doctor told me today "He has to take the whole course no matter how sick he gets, this time." In the past while treating the Lyme, she has instructed us to back off on the antibiotic because of severe Herx reactions.

(When certain bacteria including Lyme are killed they release toxins which can increase your symptoms for a while. If you are herxing- you know that the antibiotic is having an effect. Some of your symptoms seem worse- others may start to feel better. Some symptoms you've never had before may come up.)

This is going to be a tough week, or however long he has to take it... he may be in the bed all week. Today he was too nauseous to even read - and that was BEFORE starting the Rx.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Ark, I am so glad that y'all found out what was making your son sick. Do you know where he got the infection from? Do you think it is from your water? Please keep us updated. I will keep on praying for y'all.
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,647 Posts
mink said:
is this the same thing that we call ''beaver fever'' in ny?
.........mink
Probably since beavers are one of the main carriers

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm so glad that you've found something that can be treated! Giardia is miserable. I've had it twice. It doesn't take much to transfer it. The first time it was from drinking from a canteen in which I didn't treat the threads of the cap. (I hadn't done much camping at the time and no one told me that I needed to disinfect the threads) The second time I'm not sure where I got it but probably from a waterfall in Glacier National Park. I didn't drink the water but there was spray coming off the falls. Again it is miserable but it seems to turn around quickly with the right meds. Prayers for your son!!!

Blessings,

Suzi

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
Did the doctors never test for internal parasites? Giardia are quite easy to spot in a stool sample.
Anyway, glad they finally found it and I hope the treatment goes well.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NO!! The darn doctors said he was depressed - "here, take some pills".

Or, here's my favorite stupid doctor quote: "It's a virus, take this antibiotic".

:rolleyes:

We had to abandon all "regular" docs and find someone alternative who the insurance wont cover. She is a regular MD, but will use natural treatments when called for. She doesnt give up!! She doesnt take the easy way out.

Suzi, I am glad to hear you got over it quickly. About 4 years ago, before we moved out here, our son used to drink ditch water after a rain. Of course, when he told me what he was doing I told him to NEVER NEVERRRRRRRRRRR do that again!!! He may have gotten it from that and had it all this time.... uncommon, but I just dont know.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Metronidazole, Flagyl will treat Giardia. RevivalAnimal has 250 mg tablets for $13.99 for a hundred. Metronidazole is prescribed to people too, with colon problems. I have taken one a couple times, it will kill any stomach bug you got, even the flu. You must never drink any alcohol before or after taking this, you will get very sick. Usually just one tab, 2 or 3 days, will get anything. Flagyl is very strong, and too much is not good either. A little does a lot.

I always keep some on hand. Giardia can come from many things, not just streams. Like if your water hose laid in the yard and got hot, and then you took a drink, etc. Dirty water splashed up on your face, kids rolling in the mud, etc. Swimming, swallowing water. Just stomach bugs.

Can he eat yogurt and cottage cheese to put the good bugs back in his tummy?

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Flagyl is good stuff! Used it on animals, and one of my dear friends used it when she got giardia on a raft trip down the Apple River (don't smile when the water is splashing into your raft).

Giardia are very interesting on the microscope. If you get the chance to see the slide, they're very cool!

All the best to your son, and prayers for quick recovery!

Pony!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts