Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mural. Some of you may remember me posting about...........the mural. The one for the special needs room at the church were the parent group meets.

Actually, its not so much the mural. But the parent group. I'm so over it!! Tonight DH and I went to the parent group, and as usual I went upstairs to paint on it. It's been two months now, and its still not nearly done. But no parents helping me again. More excuses. I didn't wear my painting clothes. I have a testimoney. I have to talk about my IEP. (Some of them discuss it almost every week)

Okay. When we first joined the parent group it was christian based for parents of special needs children. It was nice. We would start with prayer, and then discuss what was going on with our children. But lately it has totally missed not doing a prayer. Or they do something that is more centered around that church. Tonight we got homework again. HOMEWORK?? Tonight one of the parents wanted to do a presentation on the Frazzled Female and it requires us to do some reading and then next week we review it.
I didn't sign up for some course. It's getting away from what it was intended to be, and that was to be christian based. But more and more its making you feel you need to be a member of that church. Which we are not.
And now Im doing a slow burn, spending my free time painting THIER mural, while they sit in on group. I feel like Im being walked on.
So I had the discussion with the special needs director, who is going to take the iniative to have a "talk" with them about "thier room" and they needing to step up to the plate.

I just needed to vent. I'm so over it!

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
FK,
I can so feel for you and identify with you. I'm way older than you, and have been in these positions so many times. The thing of it is, I always enjoyed the work, no matter what.

So think of it as a meditation--and a quiet time with the Lord.

He always finds creative ways to get us alone with him, doesn't he.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is true. I had to leave, and told DH I didn't want to go into the room with the other parents. Since I was doing a slow burn. But I did tell the special needs director I have every intention of finishing the mural. Since I feel like that is what God wants me to do it. And I wouldn't want to disappoint the children either.

I am going to have a talk with our pastor and discuss it with him. I told DH that the parent group is getting too much of a bible study within thier church. And since they are Methodist and don't believe in the KJV, and we do and are Baptist, I don't fit in. Especially given homework to read over certain scripture that was contained in this Frazzled Female.
I told DH that I would have much rather spent the time at OUR church tonight for thier wednesday night service, or doing bible study at our church.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Totally OT, but ...

FiddleKat said:
And since they are Methodist and don't believe in the KJV, and we do and are Baptist, I don't fit in.
Huh? I was raised Methodist (albeit back in the 1600s) and we used KJV. In fact I thought it was pretty much the across-the-board Protestant standard. I'm just wondering if either we were off-kilter, or this church you're talking about is (sure sounds like it to me, LOL!), or if the Methodist Church as a whole has REALLY changed since the 1600s!

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
FiddleKat said:
This is true. I had to leave, and told DH I didn't want to go into the room with the other parents. Since I was doing a slow burn. But I did tell the special needs director I have every intention of finishing the mural. Since I feel like that is what God wants me to do it. And I wouldn't want to disappoint the children either.

I am going to have a talk with our pastor and discuss it with him. I told DH that the parent group is getting too much of a bible study within thier church. And since they are Methodist and don't believe in the KJV, and we do and are Baptist, I don't fit in. Especially given homework to read over certain scripture that was contained in this Frazzled Female.
I told DH that I would have much rather spent the time at OUR church tonight for thier wednesday night service, or doing bible study at our church.
Ignore the others, finish the mural and exit!

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dente deLion said:
Totally OT, but ...

Huh? I was raised Methodist (albeit back in the 1600s) and we used KJV. In fact I thought it was pretty much the across-the-board Protestant standard. I'm just wondering if either we were off-kilter, or this church you're talking about is (sure sounds like it to me, LOL!), or if the Methodist Church as a whole has REALLY changed since the 1600s!

That's what I thought! I heard other Methodists say the use the KJV. But I heard it straight from thier associate pastor's mouth several weeks ago when he came during our group to teach us "how to write a testimoney." He said they do not use the KJV at all. At first I thought it was me, but DH said he heard the same thing. One of the other moms keeps talking to use to come to their church instead, stating its like Light Catholic. Sorry was born and raised Catholic and didn't want to go back. DH and I are as happy as pigs in mud with our Baptist church.

Ardie, we plan on taking a break from group. But I fully intend to finish the mural. Since that is what God wants me to do.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Light Catholic?! Wow, they are *nothing* like the Methodist church I knew! For the record, we would *never* do something like "written testimonies," either. It was a very easy-going, love-everybody, love-life, Kum-Ba-Ya kinda place (which is probably why I still respect it and think of it fondly even though I'm no longer involved).

Edited: Alright, the Kum-Ba-Ya is too much and probably gives the wrong impression. It wasn't a commune, they just taught tolerance. If I had to sum up the principles in one sentence, it would be: "Leave others to tend to their own paths - spend your time worrying about how far YOU are from meeting God's standards."

Also, on the choice of Bibles, I remembered that we did try out the "Good News" version for a while, but as I recall, even the kids found it too simplistic and, well, smarmy, for lack of a better word.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to, since I painted a church in the mural, painted a sign. And I was going to put Baptist Church on it, as a bit of a snarkism. But not sure if I'll do that.

In fact, here's a piece of the mural.

and another....

and another.....actually this is the middle part.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow FiddleKat!! The mural is beautiful!!!! I am sure it will be absolutely stellar when you get done with it, and the kids will get to benefit....which is, I'm sure, why you're even doing it in the first place. The church you describe DOES sound kind of strange. I can't imagine being instructed on how to write my testimony....It was my impression that it was a very personal story about one's own coming to faith. How could one write that wrong??

Anyway, just my $0.02 on that. I wanted to chime in though and tell you that you're doing an amazing job. Even if the parents don't appreciate it, at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you completed something you started and that the kids have a beautiful place in which to spend their time :) .

Erin

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
FiddleKat said:
I was going to, since I painted a church in the mural, painted a sign. And I was going to put Baptist Church on it, as a bit of a snarkism. But not sure if I'll do that.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with the Baptist church, you know. Artistic license and all that. If they don't like it, they can paint it themselves. :D

That mural is lovely. It is going to be gorgeous.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dente deLion said:
Totally OT, but ...

This church is a United Methodist church. Since I'm not a Church Historian, I don't know if there is any difference between the Old Methodist church and the United Methodists. This Assoc. Pastor also said that he once was on a Mission trip somewhere in the U.S., ( I can't remember where), and he took a KJV Bible, and held it up to the group. He asked if they believed that the KJV was The Word of God. Some responded they did. He then said it was "just a book" and threw the KJV across the room. :eek:

I have no intention to start a flame war between Methodists and Baptists, or anyone. The above story was meant to emphasize why we are going to take a break from this Parent group.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Just throwing this out here, why do the homework if you weren't in the class? Next point, do all things with a joyful heart. You said it's what God wants you to do, but unless I'm reading it wrong you are griping about being the the only one to do it. Since the Lord would want it to be a labor of love and we are to do all things as though we are doing it for him, then I probably wouldn't put any snarkiness in it. (meaning the Baptist church in the mural.)

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tinetine'sgoat said:
Just throwing this out here, why do the homework if you weren't in the class? Next point, do all things with a joyful heart. You said it's what God wants you to do, but unless I'm reading it wrong you are griping about being the the only one to do it. Since the Lord would want it to be a labor of love and we are to do all things as though we are doing it for him, then I probably wouldn't put any snarkiness in it. (meaning the Baptist church in the mural.)

That was my point tinetine, its not a class, its not a bible study, it was a christian parent group of special needs parents. It was non-denominational, even though it was held at this Methodist church, and most of the parents attend that church.
I get the feeling that they want you to be a member of that church in order to participate in the group.

I don't mind doing the mural. I just hate it when people are going to say they are doing somehting then come up with excuses to back out of it.
The griped to thier paster wanting this room, and got it. Then they griped about getting it done, and now its getting done by other people and not them. See my point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.