I'm so HAAAAAAAAAPY!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Mar 27, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I now have Annie (I decided on that name for her) here and just love her! She got here last night and let me try to milk her 1/2 hr later. She only gave about 2 cups but she had been in the trailer for 2 1/2 hrs and was just really excited. But then this morning I got about 3/4 gal and this evening 3/4 -1 gal so she's doing good! She gave about 9lbs there at her last day so she's doing great really! I keep a halter on her as she still doesn't get too excited about being caught. She'll get over it once she realizes that I equal food. But she stands decent. It's just that I take a long time as I'm still building those arm muscles. My goat was starting to get them strong but not strong enough! HAHA!! I just wanted to tell ya all as I'm just so happy w/ it all. I drive past my house and see her and Sarah being lazy in the barn and just get a smile to see them.
    Ok I've rambled enough but I just wantedto share! Thanks for listening!!

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Excellent! Remember, they do take a couple days to settle, some take longer. So she might be skiddish because she isn't used to you yet. Our Brown Swiss was friendly, but was skiddish a little (didn't know us), took her a couple days, and she is fine, actually she is toooo friendly now.

But 1 gallon is right, 8.6lbs to a gallon, so your getting what she was giving, just about. But just remember one thing, don't over do it, ya don't want her tooo fat. It is very easy to spoil them, but spoil her, so it does her some good as well. Good name for her, we have a cow, oldest on the farm, her name is Annie too.

[​IMG]

Annie is a wise old cow, the smartest on the farm. She watched us shake trees for apples, and she does that too. I've noticed if you go to rangle her calf, when she has one. She watches, and then acts "mad" at you, it's interesting. But Annie is a good cow, and throws some damn good calves! I hope your annie does the same for you...

Jeff

3. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Congratulations! When I was milking, my cow was "Annie" too! Short for Angelina, in the Joan Baez song --- yes we bought her from a hippie family that lived way out in the woods, LOL! She was Jersey x Angus and was practically a family member. Super mom. I milked for 7 years, then turned her out to pasture where she raised her own and several adopted calves till she was 16. Those were good days, forehead buried in a warm flank, feeling the unborn calf shifting inside, while my forearms were screaming as the milk zinged against the side of the pail.

Best wishes to you and your Annie!

Susan

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Oh well thank you. I hope my annie turns out as nice as yours. I wonder when I'll start feeling Annies calf. She is about 4-5 months along. She's due Aug 4 anyway. So however far along that is! HAHA!!

Yeah my arms are NOT used to this. I think ok not much left not much left.....but still it comes out. HAHA! I'll tell ya one thing though. I'm not sure why if it's just cause I've been busier or what but I've lost weight since I got these milk animals. About 5 lbs! Not a lot but I only needed to lose about 20 so I'm on the way! I've had my goats about 3 weeks so that's not bad, My arms are stronger too. It should be interesting once I've been milking Annie a while. I got her name from the Bible. I went to a site that listed all the women in the bible and there was an Anna. So I took off that. I had Sarah already and wanted another bible name so that was it. It was either gonna be Annie, Leah, Grace, or Esther but Annie stuck.
    Thanks for the well wishes!!

5. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Just wanted to say congrats and good luck with your girl! :)

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

We named our Annie because of "Annie" in that broadway play, ya know "Daddy Warbucks". It is a good movie (tv), and the play is even better!

Jeff

7. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Our senior cow (The boss of the herd) is also called Annie, named after Raggedy Anne because of the way she looked when we got her 10+ years ago !!!
    Congrats !!