I'm scared - NAIS

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by scribbage, Sep 26, 2006.

1. scribbage

scribbage Member

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Bunnies aren't included, lucky you! But the rest of us are. Do a search of this site and you'll find tons of threads regarding the NAIS. Also, Walter has a website, nonais.org, as does ladycat at stopanimalid.com, where you can find more information and see which states are already implementing ID and where your's may be in the process.

I'd also recommend reading Mad Sheep, which just came out recently, about a sheep farm in Vermont that went through an excrutiating ordeal with the USDA.

3. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Why be scared when you can be OUTRAGED! This is just a transparent bid for government invasion into our lives. Talk about big brother!

As a member of our so-called "free" society, you should be hoppin' mad!

4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

5. ladycat

I can't recall if I've heard about that one, but take a gander at this, if it's true, I'm speechless:
    http://stopanimalid.org/forum/index.php/board,3/topic,985.0.html#msg4379

6. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

7. backtotheland

backtotheland Well-Known Member

This whole NAIS thing is really scaring me too but I'm now more mad than scared. I too have angora bunnies and I'm trying to sell their fiber. I contacted the NYS Dept. of Agriculture, big mistake on my part I think, and I have gotten two e-mails from people interested in my fiber. One wanted to know where I was located and said that his "client" would be coming to the country soon. I e-mailed him that I was located in upstate New York and wanted to know where his "client" was coming from. I haven't heard anything since. Now I'm worried that the State is going to show up on my doorstep and take my bunnies. I'm not going to eat them or take them to any shows, they are fiber animals. It's the same thing with the sheep I was planning on getting. I'm not so sure now which is exactly what they want. They don't want us to remain independent in any way. I just hope this whole thing doesn't go through and wish I knew what government officials to write to to voice my opinion, not that it would matter much.

Donna

8. ladycat

Yeah, I haven't been able to confirm if it's true. It's scary if it is!

9. kesoaps

Sadly, at this point I wouldn't doubt it was true. After reading what the Faillace's have gone through, it's obvious the USDA believes it's God Almighty when it comes to governing animals.

10. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

If you folks are just getting upset about this you need to hurry. You need to contact your state reps. and assem. because this can only be stoped on a state level and some states have already passed it. You can check out these websites already given and they contain a link on how to get ahold of your state officials. Also include your congressional members and house members. But concentrate on your state if it has not yet passed. They may say it is not up to them but it is they need to be infromed and understand the USDA says that this will not include small farmers, but if they don't get enough participation it will be manditory for everyone, and it will include rabbits they are livestock according to usda. Do something now, you won't be able to afford it later!!!!!!!

11. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

This post is on the nonias yahoo group...
    "Dear Group,
    I just got off the phone with Sue Karber. She drove
    all night to check out their story. She asked me not
    to say anything until the story could be checked out.

Many have met Sue Karber and know her word is good.
    The story checks out and is true. She has seen the
    orders and all the paper work. This is "NOT" a hoax!

Deborah
    Oklahoma"

And this also was posted to the group

"Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 2:22 AM
    Subject: Re: USDA Shooting

Hi Terry,

Unfortunantly, it is true. It is our story. It is not over. It has now been 15 days and still not test results. I cannot get anyone to answer my questions; the USDA, the State Vet; the Virginia Dept. of Agriculture. Hopefully, with all the support we are getting someone will have to say something.

We would love for you to use our story. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. It has and it will continue. We can only hope that people will want to learn...and maybe take a stand. We'll see?

Thank you for you letter and thoughts. The e-mails and calls we have received have helped us keep getting up. Thank you for adding to that support.

Most sincerly,
    Cindi Henshaw"

I feel pretty sure it is for real, and we should ALL be doing SOMETHING to stop this insanity! Course, ya'll know I have felt that way from the beginning!
    Mama J.

12. kesoaps

This is exactly how it played out with the Faillace's sheep; no answers. All documents showed that the animals didn't have scrapie; all but one test that wasn't even validated. The USDA and the guy who ran the tests lied under oath, yet still the judge ruled in their favor. It's a complete nightmare!

13. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Folks, Vermont has already REVOKED all Animal ID efforts-- BUT-- this MUST be done in ALL states-- ALL states have wording in their current, up-to-date codes that implement NAIS-- Most of it is in the ADMINISTRATIVE codes-- which few people tend to look at. This is a way that the "powers that be" slip things past us...

Even the Amish in my community are aware of NAIS and the possible, widespread, negative effects it will have on all of us-- unfortuneately, all they can do is quietly support us Non-Amish in our efforts to repeal the regulations(heck, my Amish neighbors won't tell ANYONE what I have on my property!)

And YES, NAIS affects even Rabbits!!! A companion to NAIS is PAWS, which affects cats, dogs, and other small fur-bearing animals-- Rabbits actually fall into BOTH categories-- agriculture and pet---

Walter has great stuff that one is free to download, print, and distrtribute on his site-- I have even taken the "bumpersticker" and adhered it to the inside of my rear window (to prevent tearing off by a few supporters)-- it DOES generate questions, and I hand over a flyer--My vehicle goes to fairs, auctions, agruicultural seminars, etc. i drive through many rural areas where it is seen...

Do anything you can to fight this nasty thing--passively or aggressively. my Amish neighbors refer other "yanks" to me or my brother-- it is how they are helping-- besides keeping quiet about what their neighbors have. I am even considering getting a panel van to transport small livestock in-- so their movements cannot be readily noted-- a shame, isn't it- that we can't even get our critter to the vet without violating some law?

14. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

YES and That is a great idea about the van but I think when it gets that bad I will just end up leaving the country.

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

16. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Rabbits are not included in the NAIS. However, individual states
    can add them if they wish. From the chatter on the rabbit groups,
    I have *heard* (not personally verified) that Alaska has chosen to
    include them.

PAWS does not affect rabbits raised or sold for food. PAWS (if
    passed as presently written) will change the criteria for licensing for
    rabbits sold for pets. At the present time, the AWA only
    requires licensing for someone who wholesales over $500.00.
    PAWS would change the "wholesale " to include
    anyone with direct sales (to the public) of rabbits for pets.
    And what is the definition of pets? :shrug: Would that include
    show rabbits? 4H/FFA rabbits?

There is an amendment to PAWS which has not come out of
    committee which would exempt direct sales of rabbits for pets.
    Folks with more political knowledge that I are saying that PAWS
    will not come to a vote this year. :shrug:

Linda Welch

17. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

18. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to get past scared and get active. This is a very good article that might help open a few more eyes: http://magic-city-news.com/article_5192.shtml

Here's a short quote from the article:
    I've read in other articles and web pages that the gov has already spent over $33,000,000 of OUR tax money in their attempt to force their will on us. And that it will cost about $1000 for each farm to aquire the first chip. Who will pay all that? US! and we don't want it.

This sounds like something from a nightmare instead of something that would happen in a free country.

This has probably been posted before, but sometimes we need to be reminded how late in the game it is!
    NAIS specifically violates the 1st, 4th, 5th and 14th Amendments and Bill of Rights. The USDA has been very hush-hush about NAIS because they know that if people really understood how far reaching it is, what an outrageous violation of our constitutional rights NAIS is, then people would stop NAIS dead.

Everyone needs to contact their local radio stations, newpapers, tv stations, talk shows, anyone and everyone especially your state reps. Ask them, no DEMAND that they pass a state law banning NAIS from your state. It HAS to be banned at state levels. That's the only chance we have to defeat this invasion.

Don't get sidetracked. Do it now while we still have the right to fight.

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Spinner would you please post the above on a new thread at the self reliance forum? thanks also I am goin to take it to another forum as it is good I will quote you of course.

20. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter