I'm really tired of looking for it...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wingdo, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 1 1/2 year old, polled, doe that has never kidded. She's a beautiful little girl, conformation wise, and is so loveable she's going to break my leg from tripping over her some day! Her name, "Baby" should tell you all about her. We've had her since she was 3 months old, and exposed her last spring for the first time... she may or may not be pregnant.

She has the coloring of a typical Boer, along with the big body, slightly roman nose, "beagle" ears, and heavy muscling. She's got the same height as the Boers as well. This in combination with her general attitude, has led me to believe she has quite a bit of the Boer breed influence in her. The "polled" issue is what has me confused.

Now before I feed her for another winter, I'd like to know where the "polled" condition may have come from. I bought her from an old gentlemen that was so confused as to what he had in the field, that his wife made him sell out so they could move to an apartment in town.

Any ideas, sight un-seen, as to what breeds may be involved in this sweet little mess? She also doesn't seem to cycle the same as the rest of my Boers... more like winter/summer only.

2. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

Not sure what to tell you other than even in full bloods a polled can be born from time to time. By keeping naturally polled cows and bulls and breeding them together is how breeds like the polled Herefords came along. They were kept and bred just for that trait. In breeds that have horns it seems to be a rare trait but it is a dominate trait in the ones born with it. So good chance of passing it on.

BP

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

If she has any dairy in her she may "prefer" a late Fall breeding. My best/most obvious heat cycle is usually in Oct. for my dairy goats....I don't know much about polled goats but you might check to make sure she is completely female not hermaphrodite(having traits of both sexes) or free martin (incomplete female)....I have one that didn't kid until 3yo...we call her "stupid star" or "Barbie" because she is pretty but a bit of a drama queen and too stupid to raise her own babies :rolleyes:

Good thing she's pretty.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Polled can happen in most any breed, she could have gotten it from a Nubian cross or it could have even come from the boer side although thats even less common, but possible, i cant remimber if its a recessive or a Dominant treight although i have heard of people useing Polled Bucks on their does so that they dont have to DisBud them, so i am GUESSING its at least a Partial dominant but who knows

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Polled is dominant. All she needs is one big P from only one parent (who would be polled because polled is dominant).
    With goats, breeding polled to polled isn't as commonly done as it is in cattle due to the concern about possible hermaphroditism. That would be a female who is homozygously polled (two big Ps).
    Do you know anything about her parents with regards to their horn status?

6. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i knew there was a reson you dont breed Polled to Polled, i had forgotten weather it was a leathal gene or what, but now that you mention it i have seen a Polled Hermaphrodite doeling, she wound up in the freezer when we found a testical in her udder and realized thats why she never came into heat and bred, she started acting "bucky" as we called it and looked her over to see what was wrong,

we had bought her at a sale barn and had no idea about her parrents, this may very well be what it was

7. Wingdo

About all I know of her heritage is that the old boy that raised them was terribly confused. There were pure bred Nubians, Boers, and everything in between, on his farms, but they were also on four different farm propeties... Nubians on one Boers on the other and who knows what in-between! He was pretty anal about not crossing them, but he was also 91 years old so who knows what hitched a ride in the back seat of his old stationwagon! This doe came from the Boer lot.

Yes, I believe I did read that polled was dominant, and about the he/she complications, however, I'm pretty sure this little girl is all girl. I've checked her a number of times, and she has cycled three times that I'm sure of... according to my books anyway. We also refuse to breed any does on the place before it hits a year old. When the got out my books, I discovered we did let her have a buck on her last cycle May 1st-12th, and she does look awful heavy if she's not pregnant.

Sure am curious about her lineage though... If I knew how to post a photo here, I'd show you one. Maybe if someone doesn't mind telling me how, I can cut down on being so dang long-winded!

Wing

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Because polled is a dominant trait, one of her parents has to be polled for her to be polled. If her dam was horned, that means the polled buck in the field is her sire. I have several polled Nubians, but don't know anything about Boers or how common polled would be with them.

Also, because she is polled, you can expect roughly 50% of her kids to be polled as well.

I looked at her picture. She is lovely.

mary

9. Wingdo

Thanks Mary... I like her too. As a matter of fact, I just sold a Toggenburg and a Boer last week, and will be getting shed of 4 more next week at the stock yards. This and a 1/2 Boer doe is all I'm going in to the fall with, with a full blood Boer buck of course! I'm also hoping to find two more FB Boer does, and these four does will be the foundation for our entire future operation on all three farms.