Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I want to name my chickens. My black copper Maran roo is Roospur, and my leghorn/RIR too is Foghorn, but I just can't come up with hen names. My creativity bulb is shorting out. So if anyone can help, I will post pics. First up are my isa browns. One is slightly darker than the other.
Notice: Undefined index: tid in /var/www/imageserver/rs_cdn.php on line 68
http://cdn.imageserver.c-m-g.us/homesteadingtoday_com/26/332456-1409577772.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
This help? ;)

Kinda look like Thelma and Louise..... escaping the fence, and are on to greener pastures..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
these girls are normally a lot prettier.
I'd probably name these two Convict 1 and Convict 2... Kind of a takeoff from DEVO with Bob 1 and Bob 2 as members (well, Bob 2 just died.. ) and since they are wearing stripes..

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
we dont name all our chickens, just the ones that stick out or make you notice them, or become a favorite or a problem.
I have a rooster buff orpington named MY CHICKEN my daughter has a hen buff orpington named YOUR CHICKEN, and since we have two that we cant tell apart anymore the second buff is called YOUR CHICKEN. My 2 year old named a white jersey giant STEVE last week. We also have BIG BOY, LITTLE RED HEN, YOUASS, and a new (free rare chick) silver top hat named Neapolitan. The problem with naming them is when they die you are more attached because you ca put a name to them.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
I named my junior flock just to give them an ID to record data and label development pics.

I think names kind of need to be picked by the owner...I think about an outstanding/unique physical feature and something clicks that will help me remember...2 EE's, red headed one is Lucile (Ball), black headed one followed as Audrey(Hepburn). Henny because she was the only female from that age group and my moms best friends name. I have an adult Lt Brahma whose head lacks feathers...she looks like Vulture to me, that may change after the molt tho....lol.

Or alliteration... as in Woody(childhood crush) and Wilma the Welsummers.

Sometimes you have to not try so hard and just wait and it will come to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts