Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a job! Its part time at a kennel/doggie day care. We can really use the money and it is a blessing. At the same time......I've been a sahm mom for 20 years. I still have a 3yo and we homeschool. But we really need the money and dh has not found a job yet. This will keep us going. One day I dream of not being in debt! So I'm excited but at the same time I'm sad. Life is going to change drastically for me.....and for the kids. We'll have to adjust our schedule around me working and if dh ends up having to travel for work (and that's what its looking like) then its really hard on me. Our 17yo flat out is not thrilled about it....she wants me home when she needs me..
So please say a prayer that I can handle all this. Its going to be a big adjustment for all of us.

·
Premium Member
42,745 Posts
I got a job! Its part time at a kennel/doggie day care. We can really use the money and it is a blessing. At the same time......I've been a sahm mom for 20 years. I still have a 3yo and we homeschool. But we really need the money and dh has not found a job yet. This will keep us going. One day I dream of not being in debt! So I'm excited but at the same time I'm sad. Life is going to change drastically for me.....and for the kids. We'll have to adjust our schedule around me working and if dh ends up having to travel for work (and that's what its looking like) then its really hard on me. Our 17yo flat out is not thrilled about it....she wants me home when she needs me..
So please say a prayer that I can handle all this. Its going to be a big adjustment for all of us.
You will be fine, life is always full of changes and adjustments. Miss 17 will adapt right into things too. When Yvonne and I first got together I was out and about all day seldom getting home before bedtime, things have changed, I am now the sahd. We adjusted and I havent killed anyone with my cooking yet. ;)

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Keep the kids informed on age appropriate level and things should go okay. 17 yr old is old enough to realize family needs and understand that you NEED to do this; not WANT to do this. My kids, down to 11 yr old understands when I tell them something is a NEED to instead of a WANT to. And you should hear the happiness when we're at a store and I ask them if there is something they want! We'll keep you in our prayers that things go smoothly for you and your family during this transition.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
We all prayed for you to get that job; that means God meant for you to have it and all will be well. Just explain it to your kids like ihedrick said, and I think they will understand more than you know. When mine gets upset that I have to go to work, I always tell her, "Someone's gotta bring the Fisher Price money in!"

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
It is going to be so much fun working with the dogs! I work part time for a vet and besides all the vet "stuff" I help with dogs that are boarded in the kennels...it's a dirty job but I love it! The poor pups miss their homes and are confused and I get a lot of joy being able to comfort them, talk to them and just help them feel better. Yes, you will get your share of lunkheads but they are just scared. We have a lot of repeat customers so I have gotten to know so many of them really well. It will just take a bit for you and your family to get into the groove of things and then it will feel normal again. I'm happy for you :)

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Oh I SO envy you!! I would LOVE to be able to work part-time,especially w/ dogs!! I get SO lonely & cabin-feverish staying home w/ the little one some days.I debated just last week about going to work part time at a dog-training kennel that was needing help,something I would LOVE to do. But w/ my son who just turned 18 months,having cerebral palsy & seemingly catching every bug under the sun,it wouldn't be fair to the dogs if I had to take off at a moment's notice,& no one there to replace me. And I trust no one w/ him,really,except the Grandmas who both work full time.
And I agree that the 17 year old is PLENTY old enough to help out,might be good for her as well! My daughter is only 13,no WAY could I leave her at home w/ the baby right now! I'll bet after you get adjusted to it,you'll love being able to be out & about,a change of scenery. Let us know how it goes,& good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Congratulations on your job. I have no doubt that your family will make it work.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
just learn to count to 20 when dealing with the kennel clients, not the canine ones the ones that are boarding them! as a sahd (our businesses are all run from the farm here but DW runs a local PUC) have had the kids helping with chores for years! they don't do quite as much as i did when i was growing up but have become very good mechanics and are heading on to be responsible adults. good luck with the kennel job, the dogs make every thing else OK!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Until Dad finds work, he needs to be teaching school and cooking. The 17 y/o can wash dishes and clean house. The younger ones can care for the animals and other minor things.

You should be able to make it fine. GOOD LUCK. We are pulling for you.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh I'm sure everyone will pitch in. 17yo dd helps out already. She has a job too though. I think its just the change. It was always planned that I was home with the kids.....it's probably me feeling guilty over leaving them more than them actually needing me.

·
Karaoke Queen
964 Posts
I'll just say congratulations on the job! And everything will fall into place. Just make a schedule and get into a routine. The 17yo is almost an adult and from what you said already helps out. It's only part time (thankfully it's not full time!) so you aren't gone 40-50 hours a week. And hubby is home for now (the adjustment period), right? With a good routine schedule, things will work out just fine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts