im not a goat person sooo

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mtman, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i was talking to a man in n. carolina yesyerday who has about 500 meat goats his fence is about 3 feet tall electric ribbon i thought it was kind of low he said his goats never get out is that strange

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

some breeds of goats are more escape artist type. Others depending on how they were raised learn to respect the hot wires.

3. animal_kingdom

mtman, I took a long peek at your website.
    You should be so proud!
    What will you ever do once your house is finished?!!! You might get bored...lol!

Thanks for sharing!

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thank you but dw wants chickens, hourses, etc. soooo i think she will be keeping me very busy for some time thats ok becouse im the kind of person that has to be busy she jokes with people says she will have to stop me or there will be a town back here

5. animal_kingdom

you are going to finish your house before you build that town...right?...just kidding

Now you need to start asking more goat questions because you will have more than one...guaranteed!

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i know in a sucker for animals, the town can waite however i did plants grapes with dw last trip out dry county you know

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

oh and while im here i think he said the goats were boer they dont want to escape and there good eating is that right

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope he has a large area for that many!!!!

I keep mine in 6ft fence but not because they need it...it was here. I actually prefer to leave them loose....mine are milkers that come to their names or if they see you or hear the front door open :rolleyes: Loving little buggers. Mine would go thru electric if I or someone was outside that they could see. It'd be worth it for a pet and a treat. Just like dogs ! that give milk....

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

im not shure how many acres he has but i can say he has a lot keep driveing and its still his land even all the woods he thinned out and turned it to pasture looks great all that grass between the trees

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

mine are the same way, I have nubians, and I have sturdy fencing, other wise, everytime I do out the back door, there they are, waiting , for treats or hugs, and they would ad do come in the house, if they can.

11. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well i guess i have to get goats dw wants the milk for her cheese and soap anyway and if cookies taste good duncked in it well thats good enough for me

12. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I would get a dairy goat(or two) and borrow a buck from the meat goat neighbor and have the best of both worlds!
    They are addictive.....fair warning! :haha:

13. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have my Nubians and Alpines in 39 inch field fence with one strand of barbed wire on top. They've never tried to get out...except one Alpine who knows what gates and doors are for. She's always trying to get 'out' of the pasture and 'into' the feedroom!

Meg

14. animal_kingdom

I have boer crosses and a Nubian. No one tries to get out. If we leave the gate unlatched, yes they will go for it. Other than that, easy.

Nubian is the most loving. Always wants to snuggle up for pats and attention. I don't give treats. Grain is their treat! They get is every day twice but they bombard us when we try to dish it into the feeder. I'm working on a less stressful way to do that...less stressful on the humans!

I use a 4 foot field fence. I disbud all the girls that we keep but not the boys. They occassionally get stuck at about 3 month of age. But they are patient and wait for us to help them out.

Good job mtman on the grapes. We can the grapes as grape juice and it's the quickest canning we do all year:

Put in 1 quart jar-
    1/3 c sugar
    1 or 1 1/2 c grapes (that are washed but not peeled)
    fill to bottom edge of neck with hot boiling water
    put on warm lid and ring
    hold jar in hands and swish liquid back and forth until sugar is dissolved.
    turn upside down on table and wait until cool
    lid will seal and ready to drink in about a month.

Delicious!

15. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Well that grape juice thing sounds easy enough... and I LOVE grape juice. Mtman prefers his fermented! (I'm his dw).

This winter I'm sure I'll be posting a ton of questions for you goat-loving people because I plan to get a couple in the spring. Or are they cheaper in the fall? I don't know anything about them, but am willing to try a couple of dairy goats. Maybe I can find someone in my area (when I finally move there this fall) who can be my mentor. I think I should hang out around some dairy goats and get accustomed to their ways, and probably have someone teach me proper milking. I've milked cows, but they liked to be milked, so it was almost too easy.

Regarding "mtmanville"... I have plans... BIG plans, so mtman won't get bored for about... say... another 10 years or so! :D (He gets cranky if he's not applying himself at something, so my job is to see that he has something to do every day! Thank God he's so talented!)

~Easyday

16. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

I got curious about your website and WOW , what a great job you guys are doing. My husband and I love to do real work together , I bet you all have had a blast.

17. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

thank-you its a lot of fun for me but sometimes i think its not so much fun for easyday working with me

18. animal_kingdom

It's never easy for a woman to work alongside a man for very long...LOL

easyday, you've done a great job taking pictures. Keep them coming! I can't wait to see the finished project. Dh and I worked on a house before we got married. I believe we were about 18-19 years old...long long time ago. The house we worked on did have indoor plumbing but no phone line, original wallpaper from the 20's, horsehair plaster walls. about 16 windows and gorgeous wood trimmings all over the house. I was in charge. I got to strip down that woodwork and refinish it. I also did just about everything...

That was one mistake- I should have played the helpless one because to this day I get the majority of the fixing up of things around here!

But we should probably be talking about goats...

:D

19. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Ok, Ok, get back to your goats, just let me congradulate mtman. Wow, what a wonderful job you've done on that house!

20. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Thanks, animal_kingdom. It's fun keeping the website. It allows us to share our journey with friends and family all over the US. One of those rare incidences that I'm happy with technology. And, like you, I love being a part of the building process. It's such a great feeling... as opposed to paying someone else to do the work. Delayed gratification is well worth the wait!

Back to goats... I'm reading everything in this forum to learn more (I have to start somewhere!). I want two dairy goats that are easy-keepers, but obviously have more research to do regarding best breed, and what's available in my area.

I won't ask for your opinions just yet, because many of my questions (and your views) are probably already answered here somewhere.

Well, back to my goat-reading!